Rachel loves searching for and finding healthier versions of her favorite treats so she can enjoy them more often.
A Slimmer Chocolate Chip Cookie Full of Flavor
Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite dessert, but I've long searched for ways to trim calories and fat so I can enjoy them more often. I found a recipe years ago in Redbook magazine called "Skinny Chocolate Chip Cookies," which resulted in beautifully rich cookies. Since then, I've adapted my own recipe to squeeze in a bit more nutrition and add a little extra flavor.
I upped the vanilla extract from one teaspoon to one tablespoon, added some white whole wheat flour into the all-purpose white flour, reduced just a tiny bit of sugar, and used a spread butter that contains canola oil in place of stick butter. This last step cuts a bit of saturated fat. The result? Still fabulous yet skinny chocolate chip cookies!
The following recipe makes approximately 25–30 cookies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed, beat both sugars and butter until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add in egg, milk and butter and beat until blended. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and arrange racks so one is in the upper third of the oven and the other is in the lower third of the oven. Use 2 large cookie sheets and line with either aluminum foil or parchment paper. If using aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, or use a tablespoon to drop dough onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake 13–14 minutes, switching sheets halfway through, or until cookies are golden around the edges. Cool cookies completely.