Snowy White Frosting and Easy Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Recipes
How to make snowy white frosting and a mayonnaise chocolate cake
This is a mayonnaise chocolate cake that my whole family loves. I have made this recipe from the time the kids were little. The cake calls for nuts. When I made mine today, I didn't add nuts. Our son doesn't like them. I did put some on the frosting but only on a part of the cake. I sent the cake out to the barn.
This is a moist delicious cake. You do not taste the mayo in it.
The guys were in the barn today hunting. They have their deer blind in the barn. My granddaughter calls it their "man cave." They can keep warm and watch for deer, listen to the Packer game, and play cards there. Now I know many people don't like hunting, but that's what they do here.
Snowy White Frosting
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar for each egg
Beat until stiff. Leave in mixer bowl.
In a saucepan:
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cups water
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- Place egg whites in a mixer bowl and add cream of tartar beat until stiff. Leave on the mixer.
- Place sugar, water, and vinegar in a saucepan stir together turn on the heat and leave it alone except to add a candy thermometer if you use one. Cook until thermometer hits 230-235 or until it spins a thread if you do not have a thermometer.
- Pour hot mixture slowly over egg whites in mixer bowl, beat until stiff peaks form. Spread on cooled cake.
The frosting makes lots. You can add it thick to the cake or there is enough for two cakes. You don't have to worry about cooling the frosting it will cool as you beat it and put it right on the cooled cake. I used all of the frosting on one cake.
When my husband came in the door he said I had frosting all over my face. Well, there was just no one in here to lick the beaters I had to.
This is an easy to make frosting.
This frosting is like 7-minute frosting but not made the same way much easier to make. With 7 minute frosting, a double boiler is used and you whip and whip it on the stove with a hand held mixer. Mine would never turn out right and it wasn't fun to do it over the stove.The mixer would get hot. Also, the 7-minute frosting has corn syrup.
Once you put the sugar, water and vinegar in the saucepan for this frosting, you don't have to touch until it hits the right temperature then remove it from the stove.
Do Not Use
Do not use low fat or olive oil mayonnaise. You can add whatever you want to the top of the cake. On the pictured piece of cake, I added chopped Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark. Anything looks good on it. It is so good.
This was my husband's favorite cake.
Another easy frosting for cupcakes or cake is just Simple Egg White Frosting or Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tarter per egg white
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar per egg white
- Separate your eggs, and make sure there is no yolk in your egg whites. I do this by doing one egg at a time and adding them to the mixer as each egg white is yolk free. If yolk gets in your egg white do not use it. If the whites have yolk in them they may not foam.
- Place egg whites in the mixer add cream of tarter right away, beat on high.
- Beat until foamy lower your beating to slow and add sugar, beat on high until peaks form.
Now you're ready to frost your cakes.
How To Store Cake
Place the frosted cake into a covered container. Keep in a draft free location. Pop the lid a little to allow a slight amount of fresh air flow. About one inch. Large drafts will ruin the frosting. This frosting is better if you eat it within 24 hours.
Please Rate My Cake and Frosting.
Questions & Answers
© 2011 moonlake