How to Make a Delicious Butter Pound Cake
I am going to show you how to make simple, sensational pound cakes.
Butter pound cakes are extremely simple to make. These recipes are all made with four main ingredients (sugar, butter, eggs, and flour) in varying proportions.
These recipes are for simply gorgeous cakes that are adequately rich and full of pleasure, with a buttery texture and an incredible flavor.
These are the ideal accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee and suit all occasions.
- 125g Potato flour
- 125g Plain flour
- 250g Butter
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 250g Caster sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla essense, (Or seeds from half a vanilla pod)
- 4 Large eggs, (or 6 small eggs)
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tsp Grated lemon zest
- Icing sugar to decorate
Making The Basic Pound Cake Using The Basic Mixture
- Sift the baking powder, potato flour, and the plain flour all together and put it to the side. Beat together the butter, vanilla pods or essence, and the caster sugar. Beat the eggs and the lemon zest in adding a little flour if the mixture begins to go lumpy or seperate.
- Slowly beat in the flour until it is all mixed together nicely. Stir in the milk. Decant the mix into a pre-greased 1.5 litre tin (any shape you like) and bake it for 1 hour in a pre heated oven, or until a fork inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the finished cake from the oven, leave it to rest for 10 minutes. Gently decant it onto a cake rack and allow it to further cool down. Serve with a liberal dusting of icing sugar.
Three More Gorgeous Pound Cake Variations
Now you have made your first basic pound cake we will cover the main three variations that can be made with the basic mixture.
Making The Fresh Fruit Pound Cake:
Make up the basic mixture as in the previous steps minus the milk. Chop up 250g of apples, apricots, plums or peaches into 1cm pieces. Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and then fork the fruit into the basic mixture. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Cover in lemon glace icing when the cake has cooled (optional)
Making The Chocolate The Marble Pound Cake:
Make up the basic mixture as in the previous steps minus the milk. Put half of the mix into another bowl and fork in 2 tbsp of cocoa powder mixed with 75g of melted plain chocolate and 2 tbsp of dark rum. Drop alternating spoonfuls of each mixture into the prepped tin and bake for 1 hour. Decorate with chocolate glace icing when the cake has cooled (optional)
Making The Mixed The Spice Pound Cake:
Sift 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/2 a teaspoon of grated nutmeg with the flour. Fork it into the basic mixture with 60g of roasted hazelnuts. Bake for 1 hour. Decorate with some caster sugar, cinnamon, and chopped hazelnuts once cold.
As a naughty little twist to this delicious cake, you can spread a jam of your choice over any of the recipes here.