Toffee and Rocky Road Bars Recipes
Bars for Every Sweet Tooth
Christmas baking puts me into the holiday spirit. I will usually start making cookies, fudge, shortbread, bars, mincemeat tarts, and three or four tourtières starting at the beginning of December. This way I know that I'll have enough to enjoy with family and friends once the festivities begin. Of course, both of these bar recipes are welcomed at any time of year.
Toffee Bar Recipe
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 30 min Ready in: 5o min Yield: 24-28 bars
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk (1%, 2%, or homogenized can be used)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13" X 9" baking pan.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl combine brown sugar and flour.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives cut the butter into the mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside as you will need this further on down the recipe.
- Into the mixing bowl add baking powder and salt. Gently beat in with a fork the vanilla, milk, and egg.
- Beat until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine the chocolate chips, walnuts, and coconut. Set aside.
- This is where you will add the reserved 1 cup of crumb mixture. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the batter that is in the pan.
- On top of this mixture sprinkle the chocolate chip, walnuts and coconut mixture.
- If needed, even out the mixture using a spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the middle of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
Photo Tutorial: Toffee BarsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Rocky Road Bar Recipe
If you've never had rocky road bars before, hold onto your seat as these are super sweet. I can only ever eat about half of a bar, but someone with a sweet tooth can probably handle a few. My kids love these, so I try to make them during the holidays.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 40 min Ready in: 55 min Yield: 36 bars
- 1 1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but pecans would be great, too)
- 1 (300-gram) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 squares Bakers semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl combine graham crumbs with the melted butter. Mix well.
- Press this mixture into a 13" X 9" baking pan.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the top.
- Next layer the nuts over the top of the coconut.
- Now add your chocolate chips on top and finally the marshmallows.
- Drizzle the condensed milk over everything evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once out of the oven drizzle the melted chocolate over the top.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- These can be stored in a sealed container in a cold room or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Photo Tutorial: Rocky Road BarsClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2012 Susan Zutautas