Wacky Chocolate Cake Recipe
Why is it called Wacky Cake?
Why is this chocolate cake called a "wacky cake"? Probably because of the ingredients. The batter doesn't have any eggs, butter, or milk, and some people probably thought that's wacky for a cake recipe.
Wacky cakes were initially made during the Great Depression since butter, milk, and eggs were scarce because they were either rationed or too expensive.
This is a great chocolate cake for convenience since the ingredients are usually pantry staples. It's also a good recipe for anyone that prefers dairy-free recipes or is on a vegan diet. It's also a good cake recipe for anyone who has an egg allergy.
Wacky Cake Ingredients
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix well by hand with a spoon or whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl: vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water. Mix by hand or with mixer on low speed until everything is well combined, but don't over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Try not to overbake; the lure of this cake is how moist it is!
- Let cake cool, sprinkle top with confectioner's sugar, serve, and enjoy!