"When Harry Met Sally" Chocolate Cake
I love chocolate cake. No, let me rephrase that—I LOVE chocolate cake.
Yesterday was the day of our annual church picnic. Some people bring hamburgers or brauts to grill, or perhaps hotdogs and baked beans. Others take the easy route and provide chips and dip or colas. I always bring a salad and dessert, often trying a new recipe.
I spent Saturday afternoon looking through my recipe files, hoping for a bit of chocolate inspiration. I didn't find anything new. Rather, I found something old—a yellowed clipping from a newspaper, all but forgotten at the bottom of my card file. And what an intriguing name—"Better than Sex" cake.
.............OK. Let's just get busy baking.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, any kind will do
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 jar ice cream topping, (see note below)
- 1 small container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Stir in the espresso powder. Bake in a 9x13-inch baking pan and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Poke 12 evenly-spaced holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill the holes with the condensed milk. This will take a few minutes. You will need to fill the holes one at a time, wait a moment while the milk soaks in, and then repeat the process until all of the milk is used.
- Next cover the top of the cake with the ice cream topping. Place the cake in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will allow the ice cream topping to firm up a bit. Remove the cake from the freezer and cover with the whipped topping.
- That's it—cover the cake and store in the refrigerator.
What Makes This Recipe Work?
- Only 6 ingredients. It's easy peasy-lemon squeezy
- No tedious cake-mixing instructions. Use a cake mix and follow the simple directions on the box.
- Use whatever flavor of ice cream topping you wish. I love chocolate fudge, but you could substitute milk chocolate, caramel, butterscotch, etc.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Linda Lum