White Chocolate Orange Tassies Recipe
What is a tassie?
In baking lingo, a tassie is the term for a small cup-shaped cookie with filling. They can also be called cookie cups.
The word "tassie" is a lot like the word "cup" in some languages
Word for "cup"
As someone who enjoys baking cookies to give to people as gifts, I am always trying to come up with new ideas that have a little bit of a twist. I think this cookie recipe is just that.
White chocolate orange tassies, or cookie cups, are the perfect addition to a cookie tray at the holidays, a fancy decorative contribution to a wedding cookie table, or just about any other event.
They combine the buttery crunch of a sugar cookie base with a creamy white chocolate and tangy orange filling that is finished off with more white chocolate on top. How can they not be good?
During the holidays I have always made cookie trays for friends and family. I make a variety of about 9 different items including a tassie of some some sort. This is now my go to tassie for my cookie trays and it has been a hit. I've also brought them to a wedding shower where they were a great addition to the dessert table since the bride's colors were orange and white!
Whatever occasion you decide to make these white chocolate orange tassies for, you and your guests won't be disappointed.
White Chocolate Orange Tassies Recipe
This recipe is a bit more labor intensive than some other cookies, but the presentation is beautiful.
How would you rate this recipe?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Prepare mini muffin tins by spraying them with cooking spray.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Then add flour and about half of the orange zest. Combine until a crumbly dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and put into the mini muffin tray.
- Using your fingers or a kitchen tool, form a cup with the dough ball by pressing the dough down and up the sides. Try to get as large a cup as you can.
- Put 4 white chocolate chips in the bottom of each cup. Set aside the tray while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, orange extract and the remaining orange zest until mixed. Spoon some of this mixture into each cookie cup, fill about 3/4 of the cup.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and centers are puffed up.
- Remove from the oven, place the baking tray on a cooling rack and then carefully run a sharp knife around the edge. Careful here, they are still really hot from the oven! While the cookie is still hot, add 8 white chocolate chips on the top of each one. Don't worry, the chocolate chips won't fall off the cookies after they are cooled. They retain their shape, but melt together and onto the cookies.
- Cool completely before removing from the baking trays. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Serve at room temperature for the best flavor.
Note: I'm providing the nutritional information for you, but seriously, these are cookies so who is really counting their calories when they eat one!
|Serving size: 1 tassie|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Sodium 7 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Step 1 - Make the cookie dough
Step 2 - Form the cookie dough balls
Step 3 - Form the cookie cups
Step 4 - Add white chocolate chips
Step 5 - Add the filling
Step 6 - Bake the cookies
If you don't like the flavor of oranges, why not try...
As someone who's baked A LOT of cookies in my life, this white chocolate orange tassie, or cookie cup, is definitely one of my favorites. It's a unique treat that looks and, more importantly, tastes like a million bucks!
So pour yourself a lovely cup of tea or coffee, grab a couple of these cookies and enjoy!
White Chocolate Orange Tassies or Cookie Cups
© 2014 Glimmer Twin Fan