World's Best Coconut Cake Recipe
Here is the recipe for what I truly believe is the world's best coconut cake. I love coconut. This cake is simply wonderful and if you can make it and leave it alone in the refrigerator for three days without cutting, you will be rewarded with the best-flavored cake you will ever eat. And that's saying a lot but this cake is just that good.
I remember the first time I ever tasted this cake at a cake party in Miami, Florida. They had made the cake very much like the recipe here and they had put toasted coconut on the outside. I like it both ways—toasted and untoasted. No matter how you make it, you'll find that this cake has great flavor.
Sour Cream Coconut Cake Recipe
- Two cups of sour cream
- Two cups of granulated sugar
- Six ounces of frozen coconut, thawed
- One box yellow cake mix
- Two cups of Cool Whip topping
- Make your yellow cake mix by the package directions on the back of the cake box and bake in two 9-inch cake pans.
- Once your cake layers are cool, split your layers in half so you end up with four cake layers.
- Mix the sour cream, Cool Whip and 2/3 of the coconut in a large bowl and mix well.
- Once you have it mixed well, spread a layer of the mixed topping between each cake layer and then using a knife or spatula, spread the remaining mixed topping all over the outside of your cake, being sure to cover the whole cake. Now you have a decision to make.
To Toast or Not to Toast
You can take your hands and apply the remaining coconut you have all over the outside of your cake or you can toast it in the oven and then apply it. My family likes it both ways so I make it both ways from time to time.
If you choose the toasted method, it does change the flavor of the cake a bit. When you toast your coconut you only want it to brown slightly, not burn.
The finished cake is beautiful if you toast the coconut or not.
Let It Sit
Now comes the really hard part. And be prepared to guard the refrigerator. You want to cover your cake and place it in the refrigerator for three days before you cut it.
If you make the cake, please let us know how it turned out for you.
Neat Idea for a Party
Purchase a small glass doll or something similar that will stand the heat of the oven and put it into the cake batter when you're making the cake. If you wish, you can use a brightly colored marble. Purchase a large nice gift and set it out on the table at your party. Whoever gets the marble or miniature statue wins the prize. I guarantee that people will love this.
Whatever item you use in your cake must be very clean and it must stand the heat of the oven. It also needs to be as small as possible. Be sure to let everyone know how the big prize is going to be given away and tell them to be sure to look for the prize marker in their cake.
More by this Author
There are several versions of this pie, but here is what I consider to be the best version of the Millionaire's Pie
Here you'll find three different versions of delicious no-bake oatmeal cookies.
Here you will find my award-winning recipe for beef, pork, and bean chili. Yes, I know, people claim all the time to have the best, but this one really is.