Sharon has been an online writer for over eight years. Her articles focus on everything from cooking recipes to creating family traditions.
Dessert Recipe That Uses Up Zucchini
Are you inundated with zucchini? Does your garden keep producing?
Or do you find zucchini left secretly on your doorstep, obviously from a friend or neighbor that has simply had enough?
You are not alone! But please be thankful! You will love this zucchini mock apple pie recipe.
Did you know that there are approximately 20 calories in one cup of sliced zucchini? One cup of sliced apples has approximately 65 calories. Therefore, eight cups of apples is 520 calories and eight cups of zucchini is only 160 calories. Quite a big difference!
You’ll have fun with this recipe when your guests believe you made a delicious apple pie. After you tell them the truth, they will be amazed that there are absolutely no apples, just zucchini.
Let's get started.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
- 6-8 cups fresh, young zucchini, peeled, seeded, and sliced like apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small 1/2 inch pieces
- Pastry for a 2-crust pie (I use Pillsbury pie crusts found in the dairy section at my grocer)
- Parboil the zucchini by dropping the prepared slices into boiling water and cooking for 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Using a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except for the butter. Toss with the cooled zucchini to coat well.
- Roll out one pastry and place it into the bottom of a glass 9-inch pie plate. Roll out the second pastry and cut it into strips to make a lattice top for your pie.
- Pour the zucchini mixture into the pie shell and spread evenly. Scatter small pieces of butter over top (see photo below).
- Apply pastry strips to create a lattice crust (see video below).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the pie in the oven at this temperature for approximately 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for approximately 35 minutes. Remove from the oven when juices bubble up from the crust and the pastry is a golden brown.
- Cool and serve.
- Servings options: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Read More From Delishably
Interesting Facts About Zucchini
- Zucchini plants have male and female flower blossoms. After the male blossoms open to release their pollen, they fall off the plant. Only the female blossoms can produce zucchini. And, the blossoms are edible!
- The ideal size to pick zucchini is eight inches long. It should feel firm when gently pressed. The heavier it is for its size, the better, because this means it is sufficiently moist.
- When zucchini gets too large, it can taste bitter and become “woody.”
- Zucchini is very low in calories and is packed with nutritional value.
- There is a band called “The Zucchini Brothers” from New York that performs music for children.
- Zucchini contains Vitamin C which is an antioxidant beneficial for asthma patients and those with cardiovascular diseases as well as various cancers.
- There is more potassium in zucchini than in a banana.
- Zucchini is known to help control high cholesterol.
- Zucchini assists in keeping your bones strong and healthy because of its magnesium and phosphorus content.