Loraine, wife, mother and grandmother shares favorite family recipes. Most are easy to make, 'cause she doesn't like to stay in the kitchen.
Ritz Crackers, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate
What do you call Ritz crackers that are combined with peanut butter and chocolate? Kids call them Crunchy Monkey Pies. This super-easy dessert is perfect for holiday treats and lunch bag sweets.
Like most adults, I love pie. I'm not even very fussy about the flavor. Got pie? I'll eat it. But lots of kids, especially the littlest ones, aren't that crazy about pie. They prefer a dessert that they can pick up with their fingers and enjoy. This Crunchy Monkey Pie is exactly the kind of pie that kids love.
You can understand why they love it when you consider the ingredients: Ritz crackers, peanut butter, and chocolate. Imagine Ritz crackers as the crust, a smooth peanut butter filling, and a coating of chocolate. You'll love how easy this is to make—and the kids will love how they taste. A perfect holiday pie for the kids!
- 96 Ritz crackers
- Creamy peanut butter
- Chocolate almond bark
- Spread about a teaspoon of creamy peanut butter on half (48) of the Ritz crackers. Cover the peanut butter with a Ritz cracker, turning and pressing down to bring the peanut butter to the edges of the crackers.
- In a dry bowl, break up the almond bark and microwave for 90 seconds. Stir the chocolate and continue microwaving for an additional 15 seconds. Stir and repeat, microwaving for 15 seconds until the almond bark is melted.
- Dip one peanut-butter-filled Ritz cracker pie into the melted almond bark until coated. Set aside to cool on tinfoil.
- Repeat Step 3 until all pies are completed.
- When the pies are cool, they can be stored in a single layer in plastic bags. These do freeze well. Thaw before serving.
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
First you'll want to gather all your ingredients, the Ritz crackers, creamy style peanut butter and chocolate almond bark.
Read More From Delishably
Try not to sample too many crackers before starting.
Step 2: Spread Peanut Butter Between Ritz Crackers
To get a nice amount of peanut butter nicely sandwiched between two crackers, press and turn the top cracker over the peanut butter to set the top and bring the peanut butter to the edges of the crackers. This step goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it.
Step 3: Break Up the Chocolate Almond Bark
The almond bark melts best when you make sure that the bowl is completely dry. Make sure there is no moisture in it. Then, break the almond bark into pieces in your clean, dry bowl.
Step 4: Melt the Chocolate Almond Bark
Put the almond bark in the microwave for about 30 seconds, stir the bark, and continue melting. When the almond bark is completely melted, dip to cover the peanut butter filled Ritz crackers.
Place the crunchy monkey pies on a tinfoil covered pan until the almond bark sets firmly.
© 2012 Loraine Brummer