After you taste this moist and delicious pound cake, you'll say goodbye to bakery cakes. It has an oh-so-yummy crispy top and tastes even better the next day.
This recipe is my go-to cake when I need to bake a cake on short notice. It's also convenient because no butter is required. All you need is a can of Crisco in the pantry. The best part is how quick and easy it is to make. It's one of those recipes that you'll have memorized after making it a few times.
What Kind of Pan?
As far as baking pans go, the choice is up to you. You could use a traditional angel food cake pan, which most people use for pound cakes, or a large bundt pan.
This recipe actually makes enough batter to fill a bundt pan and a loaf pan, and that's another reason it's one of my favorite recipes: you can make the large pound cake for company or to take to a party, potluck dinner, dessert night, etc., and still have a small cake at home for you and your family to enjoy!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, then lower the temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes, until a skewer or toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 3 teaspoons clear vanilla
- Vegetable spray
- Add dry ingredients to large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time with mixer on low.
- Add vegetable shortening and vanilla. Beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a pan that has been coated with vegetable spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Lower temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove and cool on rack or plate. Enjoy!
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest