How to Make Bing Bars
You've landed on this site because you are interested in how to make Bing bars and I'm sure you'll love this homemade version of Bing bars that look and taste exactly like those you'd buy.
We live a short hour away from Sioux City, Iowa where Bing candy bars are made at the Palmer Candy Co. At one time the Palmer company made the Bing bars in four flavors: pineapple, cherry, vanilla and maple. The most popular flavor was the cherry ones, so they discontinued making the other flavors. The original Twin Bing was introduced by the company in 1923.The following recipe is our family version of the Bing candy bar.
Homemade Bing bars have become a Christmas family favorite. They really do look and taste like the Bing candy bar. I'm going to share this family recipe with you. Not only will I give you the recipe, but I will also show you, with pictures, how to make the bars.
Homemade Bing Bars
These look and taste just like Bing candy bars. The ones I made are actually the size of Bing bars. To make bite sized candies, make the cherry center smaller or when serving cut the bars in fourths. Makes a very pretty plate of candy.
- ---Cherry Center---
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1/8 cup butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teas. salt
- 6 oz. cherry flavored chips
- 1/2 teas. vanilla
- ---Chocolate Covering---
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teas. salt
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 teas. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- To make the Cherry Flavored Center: In a medium saucepan, stir together the marshmallows, cream, butter, sugar and salt. Over medium heat, heat and bring to a full boil. Boil for three minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cherry chips and the vanilla. Stir to blend. Cool mixture and form into one inch balls.
- To make the Chocolate Covering: In a saucepan stir together and bring to a boil, the marshmallows, cream, peanut butter, sugar and salt. Boil for three minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir til blended and then add the chopped peanuts. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool slightly.
- Take one teaspoon of the chocolate mixture and form it around a cherry ball. Flatten one side and press the edges to look like a Bing bar. Makes 36 or more bars.
Making the Cherry Centers
After cooling the cherry center mixture, form them into one inch balls.
Make The Chocolate Covering
After cooking the chocolate covering, spread it on a cookie sheet to cool.
Form the Chocolate Covering Around The Cherry Center
Take about one teaspoon of the chocolate mixture and form it around a cherry ball.
Shape Like A Bing Bar
Flatten one side and press the edges to look like a Bing bar.
Christmas Platter of Bing Bars
Makes 36 or more bars. Trust me when I tell you that these Bing bars will become a family favorite. I only make them at Christmas time, but I occasionally buy a Bing other times of the year.
Questions & Answers
© 2011 Loraine Brummer