Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
Recently, I was looking through my cupboards and taking stock of the ingredients I had on hand. I wanted to make something new and different, but I was out of eggs and running low on flour. This is a quick and easy recipe for old-fashioned biscuits (or cookies, depending on where you're from). Simple ingredients, no eggs required!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder, I like Rumford aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix in shortening until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Slowly stir in milk to soften the dough.
- Lift mixing bowl up on its side and turn dough several times with a spoon.
- Spray baking sheet or baking pan with cooking spray.
- Drop balls of dough by the spoonful onto baking sheet or baking pan.
- Cook for 7 minutes, flip each biscuit, and continue cooking for 8 additional minutes.
Serve biscuits with your choice of strawberry or grape preserves, jelly, or jam. I think apple butter would pair nicely, too. These biscuits would be delicious as a snack, a quick breakfast, or as a dinner side. Enjoy!
© 2016 Alyssa