Homemade Old-Fashioned Biscuits (Cookies)
Recently I was looking through my cupboards and taking stock of the ingredients I had on hand. I wanted to make something new and different, but I was out of eggs and running low on flour. This is a quick and easy recipe for old fashioned biscuits (or cookies, depending on where you're from). Simple ingredients, no eggs required!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 tsp. Baking Powder, I like Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Shortening
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix in shortening until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Slowly stir in milk to soften the dough.
- Lift mixing bowl up on its side and turn dough several times with a spoon.
- Spray baking sheet or baking pan with cooking spray.
- Drop balls of dough by the spoonful onto baking sheet or baking pan.
- Cook for 7 minutes, flip each biscuit, and continue cooking for 8 additional minutes.
Step Two & Three
Serve biscuits with your choice of strawberry or grape preserves, jelly, or jam. I think apple butter would pair nicely, too. These biscuits would be delicious as a snack, a quick breakfast, or as a dinner side. Enjoy!
Questions & Answers
© 2016 Alyssa