How to Make an Apple Sponge Pudding: Dessert Recipe
If you, your family, or friends like apple pie but feel like you need a change from using pastry, this apple sponge pudding recipe is a good alternative. It is very easy to make, economical, healthy, and tastes delicious. You can also top it with a variety of things such as ice cream, yoghurt, whipped cream, cinnamon, vanilla custard, or just leave it plain, the choice is yours.
Ingredients for Base of Apple Sponge Pudding/Dessert
- 4 x Granny Smith (green) apples
- 1 x Teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 a cup of sugar (white or raw)
- 4x tablespoons of cold water
- Few whole cloves (6 to 8)
Ingredients For Topping of the Apple Sponge Pudding/Dessert
- 2 x eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- Pinch of salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 Tablespoon of caster sugar extra
Making the Base
- Peel apples, core them, and then slice fairly thin.
- Combine the apples in a saucepan with sugar, water, lemon rind, and cloves.
- Cover the saucepan with lid and cook gently until apples are tender.
- Then place this mixture into a greased pie dish (approximately 6-cup size).
- Remove all of the cloves.
Making the Topping
- Beat the two eggs and vanilla with electric beater until thick and creamy.
- Add the caster sugar gradually, beating until dissolved.
- Then fold in sifted self-raising flour and salt.
- Spoon Topping over hot apples, sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Bake in a moderate oven 180-185 degrees C (this will depend on each individuals oven) for 30 to 35 minutes.
Note: Make sure that you add the sugar a little at a time and fold the self raising flour in, otherwise the crust may go a little hard and not rise as it should.
You may also choose to use another type of cooking apple. Granny Smith is my personal choice.
Serving Suggestions for Apple Sponge Pudding/Dessert.
A couple of serving suggestions. We have tried them all and they are all nice.
Hot Vanilla Custard ( home made). Fresh pure cream. Yoghourt plain or flavored. Ice Cream any flavor, Cinnamon lightly sprinkled on top.
Most of the ingredients I use in my cooking are Australian grown and produced. So maybe some of the names you will not be familiar with, if this is the case let me know, I will endeavor to sort it out. A lot are straight from a Farm, no nasties on or in them.
I hope you like this Apple Sponge Pudding/Dessert Recipe. It does warm the cockles of your heart on a cold day. :) :)
Questions & Answers
© 2010 oliversmum