Kylyssa is an artist who works in a wide variety of media that has included fondant since 2008. She enjoys creating and sharing sweet tips.
Decorative Mushroom-Shaped Sweets
The real amanita mushroom is highly toxic and must not be eaten. In nature, red and yellow often mean do not eat!
Fortunately, in the kitchen, red and yellow sometimes just means someone has gotten silly with a bit of food dye. I'm going to take you step-by-step through the process of making an adorable weird sweet that looks like a deadly amanita mushroom in the following tutorial.
- Fondant in red, yellow, and white or off-white
- Cocoa powder
- Waxed paper
- X-acto knife or other craft knife
- Soft, clean paintbrush
Note: You can turn white fondant into off-white fondant by kneading in a tiny bit of cocoa powder.
(A complete step-by-step photo guide follows these instructions.)
- Form a bit of the off-white fondant into a stem shape, much thicker on the bottom than the top and set it aside. This will form the mushroom stalk.
- Pinch off a small bit of off-white fondant, roll it into a ball, and flatten to form the mushroom cap.
- Score the flattened mushroom cap with an X-Acto knife. This will be the underside of the mushroom cap.
- Brush cocoa powder water into the score marks. Set the piece aside. This will be the gills under the mushroom’s cap.
- Roll out a ball of red fondant slightly larger than the ball of off-white fondant for the gills and flatten it down into a round.
- Press the red fondant circle on top of the off-white circle.
- Cut off the excess red fondant. Set the mushroom top aside.
- Pull off tiny, tiny bits of yellow fondant, anywhere from a millimeter to three millimeters across and roll them roughly into balls.
- Dampen the mushroom cap with cocoa water and press it into the little yellow balls of fondant. Set aside.
- Stand the stem upright and paint the end of it with cocoa water.
- Press the mushroom cap onto the stem and set it aside to dry.
Make the Stem
Flatten and Score the Cap
Highlight the Gills
Read More From Delishably
Flatten a Red Ball
Lay the Gills on the Red Top
Cut Off Excess
Make Tiny Bits of Yellow Fondant
Press Mushroom Cap Into Yellow Bits
Finished Mushroom Cap
Stand the Stem Up
Press the Cap Onto the Stem
Completed Amanita Sweets
Enjoy your amanita mushroom sweets!
© 2012 Kylyssa Shay