Jalapeno Chocolate Chip Cookies
Spicy Twist On A Classic Favorite!
Heat up your kitchen with a batch of sweet and spicy jalapeno chocolate chip cookies. They are the same classic, soft, and chewy cookie that everyone has grown to love, infused with the spicy hotness of jalapeno peppers.
I had a few jalapenos left over from my families little Cinco de Mayo fiesta dinner that needed to be used up, and I thought they would be perfect for adding a little spice to a batch of chocolate chip cookies in homage to National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day on May 15th, which also happens to be my daughter's birthday. She thinks it is a pretty awesome "holiday" to celebrate!
I have heard of these cookies referred to as cowboy cookies before by a cousin of mine who lives in Texas, though he says he adds a cup of oatmeal to give them a more heartier texture. Kick things up a notch and add 1 cup of finely diced jalapeno peppers to any of your favorite cookie recipes. I wonder what jalapeno peanut butter cookies would taste like?
Cut off the tops and scoop out the insides of the jalapeno peppers with a spoon or jalapeno corer. Jalapenos have a fairly mild to medium heat level, and if you like things really spicy, you can leave the seed and membrane intact and add a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. The seeds and the white vein contains the majority of the pepper's heat. I personally don't like using the seeds in my cookies. Chop up the jalapenos very fine. I use 4-5 jalapenos per batch of cookies which is approximately equal to 1 cup diced peppers.
I think the dark green flesh of a jalapeno pepper combined with the dark brown richness of chocolate looks absolutely gorgeous, both in the raw dough and when baked into a cookie. These make delicious sweet and spicy homemade gifts from the heart. Package them in a decorative tin or wrap a them up with a pretty ribbon.
- 1 cup softened margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 4 -5 diced jalapeno peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Add the softened margarine, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs to a large mixing bowl and beat until the mixture is nice and fluffy.
- Add the flour and baking soda to the mixture and finish stirring the dough with a spoon.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and diced jalapenos.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons on an ungreased cookie sheet. To make clean up easier, line the sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
- Grab yourself a tall glass of cold milk or a steaming mug of coffee and savor every delicious bite of these sweet and spicy cookies.
Jalapeno Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar
I have a confession to make. I burn more cookies per batch than are edible and it is not because I am a terrible baker, but rather, I am an impatient person who gets bored waiting for the cookies to bake and find "little things to do" while I am waiting. Alas, before I know it, another batch is burned.
That is why I love making cookie bars instead! Just dump the cookie dough onto a baking sheet and gently press down with a spatula. Set the timer and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares.
© 2013 Corrinna Johnson