How to Make a Mario Birthday Cake
My kids love the Super Mario Bros., so for my son's birthday, he insisted on a Mario-themed birthday party, and of course, we needed a fabulous Mario birthday cake to go with it. I found one that really isn't that hard to make and looks very impressive!
I'll share my step-by-step directions—complete with pictures—to make your own Mario cake!
This is all you really need to make a Super Mario cake:
- One box of cake mix
- Assorted icing
- Chocolate (for the skin and hair)
- Vanilla (for the skin, eyes, and hat)
- Red (for the hat)
- Blue (for the eyes)
- Black (for the pupils and detailing)
Step 1. Bake Two 9-Inch Rounds and Three Cupcakes
I used one box of Yellow Cake Mix. That was enough to make two round cakes that are 9 inches in diameter. There was enough leftover to make three cupcakes as well.
Step 2. Build the Template for Mario's Head and Hat
- Put one of the round cakes on a sheet/tray/dish.
- To make the nose, cut the bottom off one of the cupcakes and place it in the center of the round cake.
- To make the ears and chin, cut the other two cupcakes in half.
- To make the hat, cut a crescent shape out of the other round cake. (Note: I decided I needed a taller hat; that is why you see a cut mark on the crescent piece.)
Step 3. Make Skin Tone Icing
- To make Mario's skin color, mix a bit of chocolate icing into a container of white icing.
- Add about 5 or 6 drops of red food coloring to give a rosier skin tone.
- Layer the icing on the face, nose, chin, and ears.
- You can also use the icing to attach the parts to each other.
- I found it easier to put the icing on the nose separately and reattach it after.
You Should Get Something Like ThisClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step 4. Decorate Mario's Hat
Time for the fun part . . . decorating!
The hat took three tubes of Wilton ready-to-use decorator icing.
- Use red icing to cover the hat, leaving a space for the "M" logo.
- Use white icing to make the circle for the "M" logo, and spell the M with the red icing.
Recommended Icing Tips
Step 5. Make the Mustache, Eyebrows, and Hair
- Pipe chocolate icing for the mustache, hair, and eyebrows.
- I also piped white icing for the mouth.
Step 6. Add Eyes and Outline the Details
- To make the eyes, pipe a bit of white icing in a semi-circle shape.
- Pipe some blue icing inside the white, toward the middle of the face.
- Add black icing inside the blue for the pupils.
- I outlined the hat brim and the circle for the log with black.
- I added a chin mark and outlined the eyes.
- I also wrote a "Happy Birthday" message on the board with the black icing.
"Hey, It'sa me, Mario!"
Thanks for reading this article! I hope you realize how easy it is to make this cake. Go on and try it yourself!