Easy-to-Make Graham Balls
I was looking for something to eat for a snack when I saw a small container in the neighborhood retail store with what looked like like small balls carefully wrapped in colored plastic. When I asked the storekeeper what they were, she answered that they were homemade graham balls. I got curious as to what they would taste like so I bought a few pieces. When I opened the wrapper, I saw a small, round, colored brown ball. I sniffed the brown object, and it had the smell of graham crackers.
I am familiar with graham crackers because we use it when making crema de fruta, a popular Filipino dessert usually served during special occasions like Christmas, New Year's, and birthdays. It is a trifle made of alternating layers of cream, graham crackers, gelatin, and fruit. Since I liked the smell, I tried biting it. It tasted good; it had a marshmallow inside. I liked it so much that I bought some again in the following days and shared them with my niece and nephews.
Seeing that they also liked it, I decided to make some instead of buying them from the store. That way, I could make more at a lesser cost. I searched the internet for the ingredients and the instructions as I was not brave enough to ask the storekeeper how to make them. I was surprised to find out that it doesn't involved any cooking, and the ingredients are easy to find.
- 2 packs crushed graham crackers
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag marshmallows
- In a bowl, combine 1½ packs of crushed graham crackers with condensed milk; mix well. Adjust sweetness to taste. Set aside the remaining half pack of crushed graham crackers to use later.
- Put a small amount of the mixture in your hand and flatten it a little bit with your fingers. Add a piece of the marshmallow in the center.
- Closed the dough by forming a small ball with your fingertips.
- Roll the graham balls in the remaining crushed graham crackers or in powdered milk. You can also roll them in dried coconut or chocolate sprinkles to make them look more appetizing.
- Set in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes.