Kresa is a wife and mother to two beautiful children. She enjoys cooking for her family and creating new recipes for them to try.
Mexican wedding cookies are delicious bite-size treats, loaded with pecans and rolled in powdered sugar. I have made these cookies for several occasions, including my own wedding. Nutmeg is not typically used in these cookies, but I think it gives them a more interesting and special flavor. I hope that you will give this recipe a try, and I hope that you enjoy them!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Powdered sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add nutmeg and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, salt, and pecans and mix until the dough comes together.
- Roll dough into small walnut-sized balls and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten cookies by gently pressing down on them.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden in color.
- Allow cookies to cool down, then toss them in powdered sugar. I prefer to toss them in the powdered sugar twice to make sure they are fully coated.
Yield: About 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Note: If you have an allergy to pecans, you can substitute for another type of nut, or skip the nuts altogether.
© 2019 Kresa
Larry Slawson from North Carolina on August 27, 2019:
This looks so good! Will definitely have to try!
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on August 26, 2019:
I've never heard of Mexican wedding cookies before. I like the thought of combining pecans and nutmeg in the recipe very much.