Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Quick and Easy Shortbread Cookies
This holiday shortbread cookie recipe is unique from other recipes in that the dough does not need to be refrigerated during the preparation process, which means that this recipe is much quicker and easier to prepare than other shortbread recipes.
You simply prepare your dough, shape it into cookies, and then in the oven they go. No fuss, no muss, and in just a matter of a few minutes, you have the most wonderful shortbread cookies. These treats are so delightfully delicious and buttery soft that they simply melt in your mouth.
Keep in mind that this recipe requires real butter to make them a true shortbread cookie. Margarine or lard just will not give your cookies the great taste that they are so famous for. Stay genuine and true to your recipe and use only real butter when baking them.
The Key to a Perfect Cookie Is Using Real Butter
List of ingredients for Shortbread cookies:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (also known as powdered or confectioners' sugar)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Soften butter in the microwave on high for about 15 to 20 seconds. The soft butter should then easily create a dough that can be used in your cookie press.
- If you do not own a cookie press keep butter at room temperature and roll out dough, then cut into shapes. For firmer dough you can also hand form by rolling them into a ball and then pressing them flat with the heel of your hand.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine together butter, vanilla, and icing sugar. Stir till smooth.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix to form a sticky dough. It should load easily into your cookie press. Choose your design and press out your cookies. (Or ball them up if you don't have a press.)
- Optional: Pop 1/4 to 1/2 of a maraschino cherry in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 8 to 10 minutes.
Step One: Combine together butter, vanilla, and icing sugar in a bowl.
Stir till smooth.
Step Two: Add in the remaining ingredients and mix to form a sticky dough. Load your cookie press, choose your plate design, and press out your cookies.
How did I get this shape? A cookie press!
If you don't have a press, skip to the section below that's titled "What If I Don't Have a Cookie Press?".
Step Three (Optional): I then pop a quarter of a cherry in the center of the cookie dough.
Step Four: Bake at 350 degrees for around 8 to 10 minutes.
Kids Love to Help in the Kitchen. It's a Good Thing
Get your children into the kitchen early. Children like nothing better than to help out in the kitchen, especially when it involves the making of sweet treats, so get them their own kitchen utility set.
Love your shortbread cookies? Please rate this recipe.
It really is easy to make shortbread cookies.
Not having to refrigerate the dough saves a lot of time.
This Shortbread cookie recipe is much quicker, and easier, than other shortbread recipes. You simply prepare your dough, then shape it into cookies, and in the oven they go.
No fuss, no muss, and in just a matter of a few minutes you have the most wonderful shortbread cookies. These cookies are so delightfully delicious and buttery soft that they simply melt in your mouth.
Note:To soften butter put it in the microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you do not own a cookie press keep butter at room temperature, and roll out dough, or hand form cookies.
What If I Don't Have a Cookie Press?
No cookie press? No worries.
Hand roll out about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon of dough.
Flatten with the heel of your hand.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
No matter which shape you bake them in shortbread cookies are always delicious.