Mom 24-7 is a mum of two beautiful, cupcake-loving daughters, figuring out parenting one day at a time!
The Perfect Easy Cupcake Recipe
This recipe is the perfect quick, easy and foolproof cupcake recipe.
How do I know? I've made it myself about a thousand times over the last 10 years! I also allow my 10- and 8-year-olds to make it by themselves, and it always comes out perfectly for them, too.
Not only is this recipe the easiest cupcake recipe that I have come across, but it also makes the lightest, fluffiest and most delicious cupcakes I've ever tasted. I make them for school birthdays as well as for play dates, and I always get lots and lots of compliments.
When you've made them, please come back to this page and let me know how they tasted in the comments section below. I'm certain you are going to love them!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 125 g (4.5oz) unsalted butter (but salted works just fine)
- 125 g (4.5oz) caster sugar
- 125 g (4.5oz) self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 200c/gas mark 6. Do this in plenty of time because this recipe is quick!
- Measure all of the ingredients except the milk into a food processor or mixer (I love my Kitchenaid for this job). Blitz it briefly until mixed. Open the lid or chute and put in the two tablespoons of milk and then blitz again until the mixture is well mixed and there are no lumps.
- Carefully divide the mixture evenly between 12 cupcake cases set into a muffin pan. Don't try and put the cases on a plain baking tray as they will collapse under the weight of the mixture whilst cooking. If you don't have a muffin pan, wait until you can buy or borrow one; it makes all the difference to how the cupcakes turn out.
- Cook for 15–20 minutes in your oven (I cook mine for 16 minutes exactly, but it depends upon your oven). As a tip, by the time they look a mid golden brown they are often a little overdone, so check them regularly without opening the door if possible (opening the door can make them sink).
- Remove from the oven, allowing them to cool for 5 minutes in the tray before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Try and resist eating them before they're cool, although they are seriously delicious when warm, too!
- They're ready to decorate! If you love a really simple icing, just mix water and icing sugar together with a tiny amount of food colouring for an ultra-simple and quick icing. Alternatively, there is a delicious buttercream recipe below that takes cupcakes to another level and is great for piping to achieve the kind of look shown in the image at the top of this page.
My Favourite Piece of Kitchen Equipment for Making Cupcakes!
Cupcake Decorating Video
Another Useful Cupcake Link
This page contains information that will be really helpful in making your cupcakes.
- Buttercream Icing
An amazingly easy buttercream icing recipe that tastes GREAT!
© 2011 Rachel Thomas
How Did They Taste? I'd Love to Hear What You Think of My Recipe.
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on July 02, 2020:
Yummy! A very easy recipe to follow. Thanks for sharing.