The Best Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe Ever
There's nothing better than a good batch of vanilla cupcakes. This recipe features a rich, golden vanilla cake with a sweet vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe calls for a little more vanilla than most. Use Bourbon or Madagascar vanilla or paste for the best flavor.
Get ready: People will ask you for this recipe.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla (add more for a super-vanilla taste)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Prior to starting, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Bring the eggs and butter to room temperature. Grease and flour two cupcake/muffin pans or insert cupcake cups.
- Stir together the salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined. Continue to beat and add the eggs and vanilla.
- Add part of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add some of the milk. Beat on low. Continue alternating like this until all of the milk and flour mixture have been added. Mix well. Pour into cupcake pans, filling to about halfway.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- See below for frosting ingredients and instructions.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Bring butter and eggs to room temperature. Grease and flour two cupcake tins or line with paper cupcake cups.
Step 1: Stir the Dry Ingredients
Stir together the salt, baking powder, and flour.
Step 2: Beat the Wet Ingredients
Beat butter with an electric mixer. Add sugar and combine well. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Step 3: Combine and Fill Tins
Add some of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add some milk. Continue alternating until well blended. Spoon into cupcake tins until half-full.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. It will be easier to frost the cupcakes if you can avoid over- or under-baking them. During the final few minutes, check frequently to ensure they come out perfectly.
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (around 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla*
*Note about choosing the what type of vanilla to use:
- Vanilla paste will give your frosting tiny vanilla specks
- Clear vanilla will make your frosting white
- Bourbon or Madagascar vanilla will make the frosting off-white
Vanilla Frosting Instructions
Vanilla frosting is simple and requires only a few ingredients. This version will work perfectly every time.
- Make sure the butter is softened.
- Beat butter together with some powdered sugar and the vanilla and some milk. Alternate between adding sugar and milk until you are happy with the consistency.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a little more milk. If it is too thin, add a little more sugar.
Tip for Successful Frosting
Let the cupcakes cool entirely before frosting. Taking them out of the pan prematurely will result in crumbly cupcakes and melted frosting.