Vegetable Dessert: Spinach Cupcake Recipe (With Photos)
I understand that nobody wants to bite into a mouthful of stringy spinach when they eat a cupcake, and you can rest assured this recipe won't give you that horrendous experience. Instead, you'll find a thin layer of sweet and creamy spinach paste, just enough to add some healthy fiber and a nice green color to your dessert without overwhelming it. I actually came up with this creative cupcake recipe after watching the cooking show, Chopped. When I saw one of the contestants making a financier cake stuffed with a huge ball of Mascarpone cheese, I immediately questioned myself, "Damn! How come I've never thought of using Mascarpone in my dessert before?" Mascarpone is the cream cheese to worship. It's very sweet, very rich and vividly gives you a mental image of a very fat cow! To balance the "yang" of this fatty cheese, I decided to add the "yin" of spinach to my cupcake. My cooking experiment went very well, and I hope you enjoy this fun vegetable dessert as much as I did.
Spinach Cupcake Ingredients (for about 10 - 12 cupcakes)
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup brown or white sugar (I used brown sugar.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla vogurt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- a pinch of salt
For the Spinach Mixture
1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese (softened)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Chop spinach in a food processor.
- Mix the spinach with sugar and Mascarpone cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 350°.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, butter, vanilla yogurt, vanilla and milk on high speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat together on high speed for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Line your cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Fill a cup with cupcake batter about half full.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the spinach mixture to it, then top with more cupcake batter. The cup should be about 2/3 full.
- Repeat with the rest of the cupcake batter and spinach mixture.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool in the cupcake pans on a wire rack.
- Frost the cupcakes with your choice of frosting.
Spinach Cupcake Recipe With Pictures
Frosting the Cupcakes
Although these are cupcakes with a little spin, they're still basically vanilla cupcakes and therefore can go well with various types of frosting. I have to confess I didn't make my own frosting from scratch for these spinach cupcakes. What I did was mix about a teaspoon of Matcha green tea powder with ready-made vanilla frosting to highlight the "green" theme of this vegetable dessert. It gives the frosting a soft hint of green and a complementary aroma, which I really like.