Anna is a health-conscious foodie who sometimes needs a quick bite.
High Protein Sandwiches at Jimmy John's
Jimmy John's has many different options available when it comes to high protein sandwiches and wraps, thanks to its fresh meats and cheeses. Some of the best choices at Jimmy John's include the following items:
- The Unwich: Jimmy John's offers most of its sandwiches as lettuce wraps, which are referred to as an "Unwich." Ordering a sandwich as an Unwich saves on calories, but sometimes it results in a lower protein-to-calorie ratio. Also, if you are ordering a slim sandwich at Jimmy John's (which is a sandwich with just meat and bread) you may want to avoid ordering it as an unwich because you will just be getting some meat wrapped in lettuce.
- Turkey Breast: Turkey breast is a great meat selection at Jimmy John's because it is a lean meat. Some of the best sandwiches and wraps available at Jimmy John's feature turkey breast as the primary sandwich filling.
- No Mayo: Many of the sandwiches below do not contain mayonnaise, because ordering the sandwich with mayo would bring the calorie count to well over 500 calories. Ordering any sandwich without mayo lowers the calorie total without lowering the protein content.
All of the sandwiches below contain at least 15 grams of protein and are 500 calories or less. The list below is sorted in order of protein per calorie, so those that give you the most bang for your buck in terms of protein are at the top of the list.
A Chart of Options
|Sandwich||Calories||Protein (in grams)||Protein (g) per Calorie|
#14 Bootlegger Club Unwich
#10 Hunter's Club Unwich
#11 Country Club Unwich
Slim Turkey Breast on Wheat Bread
#4 Turkey Tom on French Bread (No Mayo)
#8 Billy Club Unwich
#4 Turkey Tom on Wheat Bread (No Mayo)
#16 Club LuLu Unwich
Slim Roast Beef on Wheat Bread
#7 Gourmet Smoked Ham Club Unwich
#2 Big John on Wheat Bread (No Mayo)
#2 Big John on French Bread (No Mayo)
Slim Turkey Breast on French Bread
#12 Beach Club Unwich
#1 Pepe on French Breach (No Mayo)
Slim Roast Beef on French Bread
#3 Totally Tuna Unwich
#17 Ultimate Porker Unwich
J.J.B.L.T. on Wheat Bread (No Mayo)
#5 Vito Unwich
J.J.B.L.T. on French Bread
#1 Pepe Unwich
How to Lower Calories Without Lowering Protein
You can decrease the calories in a Jimmy John's sandwich by following some simple tips.
- Order sandwiches without mayo and other sauces. Toppings like mayo, oil, and vinaigrettes can add unnecessary calories to sandwiches. Try ordering sandwiches without these toppings to drastically cut calories. In many cases, the sandwich is still just as delicious without the sauces. If you must have some kind of sauce, you can carry your own low calorie sauces with you and add them yourself. Some locations may even provide light mayonnaise packets if you request them.
- Order sandwiches as a lettuce wrap. There are a lot of calories in bread, and generally not much protein. To cut calories, try ordering your sandwich as a lettuce wrap instead of a traditional sandwich.
- Eat half of the sandwich and save the rest for later. Some of the sandwiches at Jimmy John's are really big. You may be able to eat half of a sandwich and save the rest for later.
If you wish your favorite Jimmy John's sandwich had more protein, you can add some protein to the sandwich by following some simple tips. The protein in Jimmy John's sandwiches comes primarily from the meat and cheese in the sandwich, so you can add more protein to a particular sandwich by adding more meat and cheese.
You can customize sandwiches on Jimmy John's website to see how much protein is in a custom-ordered sandwich. As an example, ordering extra meat and cheese on the #1 Pepe sandwich results in an extra 18 grams of protein, with an extra 180 calories. If you are counting calories, you can help to offset these added calories by omitting mayo and sauces or ordering the sandwich as a lettuce wrap. If you desperately want some bread, you can even consider eating only the bottom half of the bread.