45 Creative Coffee Shop and Cafe Names
Choosing the Perfect Coffee Shop Name
So you’ve got what it takes to open a small, local coffee shop: serious barista skills, recipes for a bunch of awesome beverages, and the knowhow to whip up some delicious eats.
That’s all great and totally necessary, but what are you going to call your cafe? Brew up a big pot of coffee for this one because this is going to require your attention.
Look around at all of the successful coffee shops and you will find that a majority of them have great names. Much like in any other type of business, choosing a name that is both unique and catchy is an important part of the business-planning process. You want a passerby to actually walk in, and a good name can make this happen.
Catchy Coffee Shop Name Ideas
Steamy Beans Coffee
Ground Up Cafe
Beans 'n Cream Cafe
The Busy Bean
The Coffee Club
Jacked Up Coffee
The Family Bean
Jumpin' Beans Cafe
The Friendly Bean
Jumpstart Coffee Shop
The Roasted Bean
Cup o' Joe
The Split Bean
Dream Bean Coffee Shop
No Doze Cafe
The Steam Room
Spiced Chai Cafe
Wake Up Cafe
Steam Beans Cafe
Wide Awake Cafe
Yo Jo Coffee Shop
Cafe Name Brainstorming
A few things should be considered:
- Keep it simple. Choose a name that's short and sweet and try to avoid cafe names that are difficult for the average Joe to pronounce or spell (pun intended)! You want them to be able to remember you rather than settle for the nearest chain coffee shop. (Yeah, we’re looking at you, Starbucks!)
- Look to your specialty beverages and treats. Find inspiration, perhaps at the bottom of a cup of coffee (or two, or three...). "Espresso," "Mocha," and "Latte" all sound good in a name, especially to someone yearning for a cup.
- Use your name. If your name is Joe, celebrate with a shot of espresso! Espresso Joe’s sounds pretty good! Even if your name isn't Joe, it will add personality and homeyness to your cafe's name.
- Use your location. Location plays a big part in the success of your coffee shop, so why not emphasize it in your shop's name? Manhattan Mocha, Jacksonville Java, and Boston Baristas are a just a few examples to get the juices (or should I say coffee) flowing!
- Use adjectives. Using a coffee drink or tasty treat in the name? Try adding different adjectives (hot, homemade, sweet, etc.) to see what flows nicely together.
- Use the theme. If your cafe will have a theme, incorporate it into the name if possible.
- Think of your audience. Are you trying to gear your cafe toward a certain crowd of people? If this is the case, keep this in mind when thinking of cafe names. Youngsters aren’t likely to frequent a cafe called “Old Geezer's Coffee.”
Get Opinions From Others
After making a very long list of possible names (it is okay to list some that seem silly or outrageous, as this list will be narrowed down, and after reading these outrageous names a few times over, they may grow on you), give the list to close friends and family members and have them choose the names they like. This will give you an idea of what names will give your cafe that frontline appeal, the kind of appeal that can make all the difference.
If you are really having a hard time coming up with any names, or if you find yourself stuck between a few good ones, invite a group over to discuss it over some coffee (how suitable)! Just keep sipping that coffee, the name will come to you!
What's your favorite coffee drink?
More Business Name Ideas
- 50 Cute Diner Names
Who doesn’t love dining at a mom and pop diner? If you have a passion for customer service and food, combine these with management skills and open a diner! Check out these 50 cute diner name ideas!
- 75 Cute and Creative Bakery Names
Choosing a name for your bakery is a piece of cake with this list of 75 cute and creative bakery names.
- 50 Cake and Cupcake Business Names
Have your cupcake and eat it too by opening a cupcake business. Every cupcake shop needs a deliciously adorable cupcake business name! Here are 50 name ideas to help you name your shop.