A Review of Home Chef Food Delivery Service
Home Chef is a food delivery service. You can go online, and once you create a new account with them, you can choose your food preferences, pick how many times a week you want the food delivered, and select how many servings for each recipe. The food is raw, and you cook it.
Keep in mind once that you sign up, you are on autopilot to get deliveries every week unless you go to the website and delete the weeks you do not want delivery. I do not have the time to cook every week, plus it is just me in my household, so I signed up for a monthly delivery of three different recipes that serve two people (they don’t offer single-serving meals). But that is okay since the food was so good I didn’t mind eating them as leftovers.
How Fresh Is the Food?
- Everything I have received so far was very fresh. The vegetables and meats were in very good condition.
- The only recipe that did not appear five stars was the Greek Chicken Salad. The romaine lettuce looked a bit wilted and not as green as I would have liked it; also the English cucumber was bruised in two different places and I had to cut that part off because it was not as crisp as the rest of the cucumber. Other than that I have been very pleased with the freshness of the ingredients, including the meat, and I did enjoy the Greek Chicken Salad. The dressing was really good.
- The steaks have been the best cuts of meats I have ever had so far. Much higher quality than what my local grocery stores offer. They are each around three ounces so they are the perfect portion size.
Is Home Chef Right For Me?
So far I have had three deliveries to my front door for a total of 9 different recipes, at two servings for each recipe, which equals 18 meals for myself.
- It does not matter whether you are a beginner cook or a chef, Home Chef offers menu choices for your skill and dietary preferences.
- Their recipes are designed by chefs and tested by home cooks like you and me.
- Once your food is delivered, you can sign in to your account and give a star rating and make any comments for each recipe you prepared.
- Each recipe comes with a beautiful laminated colored recipe card explaining in detail what and how to do all you need to get the food ready and then cook it.
- The box with my three recipes arrived on delivery day around 1:00 p.m. I unpacked the box and saw thick insulation was used around the food to keep it cool. This insulation is made with recycled cotton-enhanced biodegradable textile fibers. The meats were in a bag with five cooling packs. These cooling packs can be rinsed and reused, or drained of their non-toxic, eco-compatible fluid and recycled. Everything was cold when it arrived at my house.
- After unpacking the box I put everything in the refrigerator until ready to prepare and cook. As shown in the recipe photos below, the meats are vacuum sealed and thawed and ready to cook.
How Much Does It Cost
- Each meal, no matter how much you order, is $9.95 per meal.
- If you order over $45.00 worth of food, you get free shipping. If you order under $45.00 worth of food, you must pay $10.00 in delivery fees.
- My three-recipe deliveries were $59.70 for each delivery (three recipes = six meals).
- Keep in mind, there are no measuring ingredients since everything you need is in the box. On your very first order, you also get a plastic recipe binder to keep all your colored laminated recipes all together.
- For new customers ordering for the first time, you will get $30.00 off your first order. You can also refer other people to use the service and get free orders.
My recipes came with pats of butter, sprigs of fresh herbs, small containers of sherry vinegar, marinara sauce, blue cheese, parmesan cheese, fig jam, red wine vinegar. The containers are as cute as can be and they are made of recyclable material.
Now the fun part! I choose the low-calorie option recipes and so far the recipes I chose were delivered to my door, including the following:
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Sirloin with Fig and Red Wine Reduction
- Sirloin Steak with Blue Cheese Compound Butter
- Skinny Chicken Mozzarella
- Turkey and Butternut Squash Chili
- Black Bean with Tortilla Strips
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad
I unpacked the ingredients and prepared each meal and compared them to the photos on the recipe card (of course!). All of these dishes were excellent. Really Good! No complaints here. Except for the black bean tortilla soup—didn’t like that one so much.
The following are photos of each prepared recipe (includes the recipe card photo for comparison).
I would highly recommend Home Chef to anyone who is considering a food delivery service and/or wants the convenience of having food delivered to your doorstep, where everything is perfectly measured out, which you don’t mind cooking yourself. There is a local company in my town where you can pick your recipes online and then pick them up at the store, except these recipes are already put together—you just cook them and that is all—no prep, no cleaning up kitchen. But it is a local store and not national.
I have been pleased with the easiness and freshness of these Home Chef recipes, and they are just downright delicious.
Questions & Answers
How can I pick a family member's meals with Home Chef?
You must go to their website and create an account then pick which meals you want and pick how many meals you want delivered - either for 1-2 people or for a family.Helpful 1
© 2017 Michelle Dee