To become a good cook, you must know which herbs and spices go together to create tasty dishes. Experiment and enjoy!
How to Make a Meal Out of Frozen Taquitos
Don't have the time to cook homemade meals everyday? Here's a quick weeknight dinner idea using frozen taquitos. I'm not talking about eating them plain or dipped in sauce. You need to spruce them up—and I'm going to show you just how to do it.
Make a meal for the whole family with these little rolled-up yum-yums. Kids especially love them!
What Are Taquitos?
Taquitos are flour tortillas that are filled with chicken or beef, rolled up, and then fried. In my opinion, they taste best when fried, but you can also choose to bake them in the oven if you prefer not to fry them. Typically, taquitos are eaten as a snack dunked in salsa or cheese sauce.
Yield: 2 servings (8 taquitos total)
- 6-8 frozen taquitos
- 3 tablespoons cheese sauce, any type
- 3 tablespoons guacamole, any type
- 3 tablespoons chili, canned or leftovers
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons salsa, any type
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Oil, for cooking
- In canola, peanut or vegetable oil, fry the taquitos until golden brown for a couple of minutes. (If you prefer baking them: Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake taquitos on a non-stick baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.) When done put about 3-4 of them on a plate.
- In layers, top the taquitos with warmed cheese sauce, guacamole, and chili. You can warm up these toppings in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
- Next, sprinkle chopped onions, tomatoes, salsa, and shredded cheese.
- Top it off with lots of shredded lettuce.
- Leftover chili makes a nice sauce topping.
- Lettuce adds that crunchy, fresh burst of flavor and hides all the other ingredients under it. When you bite into the taquito, the sauce just gooshes out from under it.
- Addition topping ideas: sour cream, jalapeños, green onions, and chopped cilantro. If you have more ideas, please add them in the comments, below!
© 2015 Ramona
What kind of toppings would you put on taquitos?
Ramona (author) from Arkansas on February 16, 2020:
Patricia Bridges, Que so does go good with this. My husband and I like the lettuce topping. By the time we get through fixing our plates it looks more like a salad.
Patricia Bridges on February 09, 2020:
Thanks for the idea, Que so sauce sounds perfect for this. Have all the ingredients. Dinner is done.