Margie's been an online writer for several years. Her articles focus on great Southern-style recipes for any occasion.
Whip Cream and a Fruit Salad?
Fruit salad dressed in whipped cream or mixed with whipped topping, cream cheese, or pudding is an elegant addition to your meal!
You may use fresh, frozen or canned fruits in some recipes. Many sweet salads would be good as a dessert. They are so rich and delicious.
Enjoy the Fruit Salad Recipes and Find Your Favorite!
- Tips for Making a Mouth-Watering Fruit Salad
- Pistachio Marshmallow Salad
- Creamiest Fruit Salad
- Heavenly Cherry Pink Fluff Salad
1. A Mouth-Watering Fruit Salad (Tips Included)
A good fruit salad is something everyone likes! Our grandchildren especially loved fruit salad. I must admit they do tend to pick out the fruits they like and avoid the ones they do not.
I like to do a fruit salad, mainly in the summer months when I can purchase melons, peaches, and other in-season fruit.
Display the beauty of all the colors of the fruit in a large glass bowl or in a scooped-out watermelon. It will make a gorgeous centerpiece for the table.
Choosing Fruit for Your Salad
When choosing your fruit, try to get a variety of colors and make sure they are ripe! Use equal parts of each fruit that you choose to use.
Try picking the fruits that are in season. Pick out your favorites and serve a beautiful bowl of fruit salad for your next meal!
Fruits to Get You Started!
- Mandarin oranges
- Navel oranges
- Give your salad a quick squirt or spray with lemon or lime juice; it will keep the fruit from getting brown and will enhance its flavor.
- If some fruit is tart, as berries are sometimes, sprinkle it with granulated sugar, and it will dissolve into the fruit.
- Cut the fruit into the same sizes; I like bite-size pieces; you can just pop them in your mouth.
2. Pistachio Marshmallow Salad Recipe
Pistachio salad, also known as Watergate salad, is easy and yummy. Yes, I love easy, if you need a pot for that potluck supper, throw this together, and you will receive rave reviews. Be sure and take copies of the recipe; people will want one!
You only need four ingredients for this quick salad. The kids will love the cool whip and miniature marshmallows; let them help you make it. Enjoy.
Ingredients for Pistachio Marshmallow Salad
- 1-16-ounces Cool Whip
- 1-3.4-ounce box pistachio instant pudding
- 1-20-ounce can of pineapple, crushed
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Instructions for Making Pistachio Marshmallow Salad
- Mix in a large bowl the Cool Whip and pistachio instant pudding.
- Fold in the pineapple and marshmallows.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap
- Chill for two hours before serving.
3. Creamiest Fruit Salad Recipe
This a divine fruit salad recipe that you will use many times. It is quick and easy to put together.
It will accompany just about any meal. The whipping cream just puts this fruit salad over the top!
At our family Easter holiday, fruit salad is always on the menu!
Ingredients for Creamiest Fruit Salad
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 6 medium red apples, sliced
- 6 bananas, medium firm, sliced
- 3 cups green grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
Instructions for Making Creamiest Fruit Salad
- In a heavy saucepan, combine orange and pineapple juices, sugar, egg and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix well.
- Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Cool the mixture; fold in the whipped cream.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the apples with the remaining lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add bananas and grapes; mix well.
- Add the dressing mixture; stir to coat.
- Cover the salad with plastic wrap.
- Fold in the pecans just before serving.
- Instead of the whipped cream, use 2 cups of whipped topping.
- Choose any type of nuts, like walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Use different types of fruits if you desire.
- Do not over-beat the whipping cream; it will turn to butter.
4. Heavenly Cherry Pink Fluff Salad Recipe
This salad has many names: pink stuff, cherry fluff, cherry fluff cottage cheese, and more! I like that you can change the fruit and the flavor of the gelatin and another delicious fruit salad. It is so easy and quick. When I need a dish to take somewhere, this is my go-to salad!
Ingredients for Cherry Pink Fluff
- 1-16-ounces package of cottage cheese
- 1-8-ounces container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1-12-ounces can of cherry pie filling
- 1-3-ounces package cherry flavored Jello gelatin dry mix
Instructions for Making Cherry Pink Fluff
- Find a beautiful glass bowl or a plastic bowl.
- In the bowl, add the cottage cheese, whipped topping, and cherry pie filling.
- Sprinkle the Jello gelatin over this mixture; fold it together gently.
- Chill overnight if you can wait that long! In a couple of hours, it should be okay to serve!
Makes 6 servings.
- Omit the canned cherry pie filling.
- Add a 15-ounces crushed pineapple, drained. Use any flavor of the 3-ounces Jello gelatin mix.
- Use any type of 15-ounce fruit, drained, that you desire to replace crushed pineapple.
- Some of my favorite combinations are orange Jell-O and mandarin oranges and strawberry or cherry Jell-O and fruit cocktails.
- Throw some nuts in if you like!
- The ways to prepare it are endless!
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen