Christmas Friendship Brandied Fruit Starter and Cake Recipes
A Christmas Tradition
Brandied fruit is fruit that's soaked in brandy and sugar until it is fermented. The fermented fruit may be used in cake mixes, drizzled over ice cream, pies, and pound cake or any way you desire! In our house, it's a holiday tradition for Christmas and other holidays.
Brandy is distilled from fermented fruit, it has been around since about the 12th century.
It makes a wonderful gift to share for any occasion. Place in a pretty jar, attach a ribbon and a tag giving ways they can serve it!
My mom gave a starter of the Friendship Brandied Fruit and the Amish Friendship Bread! They both are so good, I love doing anything with cooking! Well, I do like to eat too!
Have fun, share enjoy and make new friends!
Look for a spot in your kitchen to keep the jar at room temperature. You can find at Walmart a large jar or crock for making your brandied fruit. You do need to give it care and feeding daily which only takes a minute or two.
Christmas Brandied Fruit Starter Recipe
- Ingredients for 6 Starters
- Brandied fruit takes 21 days to ferment and yields 6 cups.
- You will love the taste of this delicious brandied fruit.
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can peach slices, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 (17-ounce) can apricot halves, drained
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brandy
- Drain the juice from all the fruit.
- In a clean, large glass jar or crock combine all of the ingredients.
- Using a wooden spoon gently stir.
- You may use apricot or peach brandy if you desire.
- Let the brandied fruit stand a room temperature for three weeks, stir it at least twice a week.
- When the fruit becomes translucent, you will know the fruit is fermented.
How to Care for and Feed Brandied Fruit
- Feed every two weeks by adding one cup of sugar and one cup of different fruit each time, gently stir with wooden spoon.
- Cover, let sit at room temperature three days before using.
- To maintain your starter keep at least three cups at all times
How to Share the Starter
- When you have more than six cups of the brandied fruit, you can divide into two portions, making sure there are three cups in each portion.
- This should be done before you would do a normal feeding.
- Feed each three-cup portion, give one three-cup portion to a friend with the care and feeding directions and keep the other three-cup portion for yourself.
- Sometimes your friends may not open the door when you come with a three-cup portion of this delicious magic! I had to bake a lot to keep up with the starter!
- Some friends may prefer you just bake a cake or bring a mason jar of brandied fruit for toppings for ice cream, cake or whatever!
My Favorite Canning Jars
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow or white cake mix
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped brandied fruit
- Add all of the ingredients in a large bowl, mix by hand, do not use an electric mixer.
- Prepare a bundt or tube pan by greasing and flouring well. Place the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- You may double the recipes and it will make three 5 x 9-inch loaf pans. I would check the loaves at 45 minutes to see if they are done, may take the whole hour!
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Ingredients will make 24 servings.
- The loaves make awesome gifts for Christmas, Thanksgiving or any occasion.
- You can bake in the disposable loaf pans and add some special touches with decorations and you have a lovely gift!
- If you do not like mixed fruit, just use one kind of fruit if you like!
Friendship Cake Without Cake Mix Recipe
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups brandied fruit
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brandied fruit juice
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar, beat well.
- Add the next six ingredients, beat well.
- Add the eggs and chopped brandied fruit. Stir into the batter.
- Add the juice and chopped pecans, mix well.
- Place the batter into a well-greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- Let cake cool in the pan for ten minutes, remove from pan.
Have you made Brandied fruit starter?
I have made the brandied fruit starter and it is delicious! Get it started today.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Mrs. Field's Secret Cookie Recipe: Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
This authentic Mrs. Field's cookie recipe is loaded with chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and pecans.
- 9 All-Time Favorite Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
Homemade ice cream, whether it's vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter, peach, or any other flavor, tastes better when it's homemade. Here are my favorite recipes for homemade ice cream that everyone will scream for!
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen