Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Pickles Are the Best Condiments
You can make spicy pickled lemons in many ways. A few varieties call for a resting period, while a few are instant. In this busy world, people like to make food you can eat right away, rather than the ones that demand a longer resting period.
This spicy pickled lemon recipe doesn't need setting time. You can use it immediately or preserve it in the refrigerator and use it for up to a week. Here, I have not used any oil or preservatives. This is a traditional way of making this delicious dish.
Here, pressure-cooked lemons are mixed with red chili powder, asafoetida, salt, and a bit of turmeric powder. Pressure cooking the lemons makes their skin soft. You can cut them with your fingers. This fantastic blend of lemons and spices makes this pickle an appetizing side dish.
On to the recipe!
Instant Lemon Pickle (Spicy Pickled Lemon)
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A small cup of lemon pickle
- 3 lemons
- 1 tsp red chili powder, if you want it more spicy, add 1/2 tsp more chili powder.
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch turmeric powder
Step-by-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Pickled Lemon
- Wash lemons. Add two glasses of water to a pressure cooker. Cook the lemons up to 4 whistles.
- Remove the cooker lid once the pressure releases naturally. Take out the lemons. Set aside to cool.
- Cut each of them in 4 equal parts. Remove the seeds. Discard them.
- Put the lemons in a bowl. Add turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, add red chili powder and asafoetida/hing powder. Mix well with a clean, dry spoon.
- Done. Your favorite spicy pickled lemons ready! You can use it immediately or store in a refrigerator and use for up to a week.
- Serve this pickle as a side dish with any type of meal. It enhances the flavor of your food. Enjoy eating!