Meagan is a mother to two young children, a freelance writer, and a waitress who loves doing fun activities with her children.
A Fruit Treat Everyone Will Enjoy
My kids love helping in the kitchen, but they get bored with the same old stuff, so I am constantly racking my brain to come up with new ideas! I remembered my daughter seeing a watermelon bowl at a picnic once, and she thought it was awesome.
However, trying to carve a full-sized melon into a dainty basket would have been a kitchen nightmare. Not a lot of fun for a toddler. So I thought of this super cool idea one day while walking through the produce section, and it was a lot of fun! My kids loved it, and now I would like to share it with you.
DIY Mini Watermelon Fruit Bowl for Kids
- 1 Mini watermelon, try to get the roundest one!
- 1 Large sharp knife, big enough to cut a watermelon
- 1 Small sharp knife, to cut the fruit up for your salad
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Assortment of fruit, we used kiwi, strawberry, and blueberrys
Making Mini Watermelon Bowls With Your Kids
- Start by slicing a small amount off each end of the watermelon. Then cut the melon in half, it should now stand on the spot you previously cut, and shouldn't roll or move.
- Take the spoon and hollow out each side of the melon, but be careful you do not go through the bottom or it won't work. The objective is to make a "bowl" from the watermelon skins. Skins?
Filling Your Bowl!
- Cut up your selection of fruit and mix together in a bowl. I cut all of mine onto separate plates so my daughter could pick and choose how much of each one she wanted. You can do it either way, the way I did it made a much bigger mess, but I think it was more fun for her.
- Once you have all your fruit cut, you can separate it equally into each melon bowl. If your children are helping, have them fill the bowls to their liking!
Finishing Your Bowl
- When the bowl is finished and filled how you want it, put it in the fridge for 30 minutes—or until you are ready to eat.
- While you are waiting for that to cool off, why not try my recipe for smoothies with the left over ingredients. You can find that right here.
- Once everything is done, and you have cleaned up, all that is left to do is enjoy.
Meagan Ireland (author) from Maine on July 19, 2017:
It was a ton of fun! Suuuuuuper easy with awesome results! I would recommend it!
Angel Guzman from Joliet, Illinois on July 19, 2017:
I will have to try this with my kids. Good read Meagan.