Ryan Thomas is a university student who enjoys cooking recipes from a wide variety of culinary traditions.
This dessert has an amazing vitality and energy associated with it and is wonderfully fun to make. Traditionally, according to the recipe I adapted it from (Dishes from Indonesia by Yohanni Johns), it goes so far as to include flaming rum. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, my attempt to light the rum on fire wasn't a success, but then, after all, it was the first time I had tried that. If you can achieve it, more power to you. Even without that though, the ingredients within meld extremely well, with the sweetness of the banana and the sugar, coolness of rum, and the zesty energy of the orange juice mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm not sure what I can easily compare it to, perhaps it is akin to some sort of incredibly vibrant fruit pie without a crust. But, in any case, it makes for an excellent tropical-style dessert. It certainly beats traditional fried bananas thanks to the orange juice! I was especially delighted with the juice from blood oranges for this. They add a special and particular improvement, and in the future I'll have to get more of them.
Step by Step Instructions
- 4 bananas
- 2 oranges juice of
- 4 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons rum
- whipped cream
- Peel and cut up the bananas. Slice each one in half, and then each of these halves into three separate tranches.
- Dip the banana slices in egg whites to prepare them to be fired.
- Juice the oranges, add the cinnamon and nutmeg, and then stir together.
- Melt the butter in a wide skillet. Then add the bananas and fry them, sprinkling with sugar until brown on both sides. Try your best to not break the banana slices, although this is often hard. Use a spatula to turn as necessary.
- Add the orange juice and cook longer.
- Place the bananas onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with rum, try to light afire. Then add whipped cream and serve.
© 2017 Ryan Thomas