How to Make Jackfruit Dessert Balls (Jackfruit Mulka)
Jackfruits Are Healthy and Delicious
You can smell the presence of a ripe jackfruit from a distance due to its strong and pleasant aroma. It's big in size and has a prickly, needle-like outer skin. Inside, it has bulb-like pods. In a ripe jackfruit, the pods are fleshy, sweet, and tasty. Each bulb has a moderately big seed inside. People consume the bulb just like that or cook it with other ingredients.
Jackfruit is considered as the best vegetable substitute for meat, as it tastes and feels like meat when it is not ripe. It is a tasty vegetable.
Here, I share a delicious jack fruit snack recipe with you.
- 3 cups jackfruit pieces, ripe
- 1 1/2 cups white raw rice/crepe rice, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 3/4 cups coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup jaggery, depending on the sweetness of the jackfruit
- 4 cardamom, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt, as per taste
- oil, for deep frying
- Cut a ripe jackfruit. Remove the bulbs. Separate the seed. Collect the bulb in a bowl, as per measurement.
- Wash rice. Discard the water. Soak it in fresh water for 4 hours. Drain the water. Keep the rice aside.
- Grind rice, jackfruit, grated coconut and jaggery to get a thick, near smooth batter. No need to add water, as jackfruit and the soaked rice give out moisture. The consistency of the batter is such that you should be able to hold it on your fingers while making fritters. Collect the batter in a bowl.
- Add salt and cardamom powder. Mix well. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Take a small lemon size batter and drop it into the medium hot oil. Fry it on a medium low fire to avoid burning them. At a time you can make 10-12 sweet balls, depending on the volume of the oil. Turn it occasionally for getting the uniform color and also for uniform frying. It takes about 4-5 minutes to get a brownish color. Remove on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the procedure for the entire batter.
- Eat after it cools down completely. You can use it for two days at room temperature.
- Jackfruit sweet balls look brownish color, even though they are not burnt. Due to jaggery, it becomes slightly dark in color.
- You can store it in a refrigerator for 5-6 days, keeping it in a closed container. However, eat only after it comes to room temperature.
- Jackfruit sweet balls are called as 'Mulka' in local language Kannada in Bangalore.
Nutritional Information of Jackfruit Sweet Balls
|Serving size: per serving|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 34 g||11%|
|Sugar 17 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 25 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|