Easy Mango Avocado Baby Food Puree
I love feeding my baby the best of the best, but don’t love the price tag that can sometimes come along with that. One pouch or jar of organic baby food costs about $1.50 give or take. Assuming you feed your baby 2 of them a day that’s $3/day, $21/week, $84/month! If you plan well, you can take advantage of sales, store promotions and coupons, but it still adds up.
It only takes a couple of minutes to make your own nutritious baby food yourself at home for a fraction of the price. And to be honest, it kind of makes my heart happy to feed my guy something I made (and in some cases even grew) myself.
One of Dylan’s favorites is Mango Avocado Puree. It’s sweet and smooth and filling.
Mangos are rich in vitamin C. Avocados provide lots of essential nutrients on their own, but in addition help the body absorb more nutrients in foods that are eaten along with it. Super powers if you ask me.
For this puree, I bought one organic mango for $1.66 and one organic avocado for $1.12 and it yielded 6 jars. Which shakes out to about $.46 per serving.
1) Choose one ripe mango and one ripe avocado. A ripe mango will give slightly and smell fruity. A ripe avocado will also give a little in the palm of your hand.
2) Peel and break up both the mango and avocado. You could dice them up, but I’m just lazy.
3) Toss in a food processor and add a splash of water. (I use the Baby Bullet. I can’t say enough good things about this – I received it as a shower gift when I was pregnant with my now 4 year old. Even when I was done making baby food the first time around, it stayed within easy reach as I used it for other recipes, smoothies, and more. Any food processor should work, however. If you don’t have one, I’d be willing to bet even a fork or hand mixer would work just fine.)
4) Pour into small containers with lids. If I am not going to use it within a day or so, I store in the freezer and just thaw quickly under warm water before feeding. I also usually put a peel and stick label on with the contents and date as I usually have a few different varieties of purees in my freezer at any given time.
5) Give to baby to enjoy and feel great about it! You’re feeding a healthy meal at a fraction of the price! (Go ahead and try it yourself. It’s not bad!)
Mango & Avocado Baby Food Puree Ingredients
- 1 mango, ripe
- 1 avocado, ripe
- Peel and break up one ripe mango and one ripe avocado.
- Add to food processor along with a splash of water.
- Pour into small containers with lids.
- .Label with contents and date.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
More by this Author
Use up your vine-ripened tomatoes with this yummy quiche recipe that uses garden-fresh ingredients.
Just toss all the ingredients into the crockpot and let it do the rest!
Quick, easy, and cost effective baby superfood.