How to Make Raw Mango Stir-Fry
An Amazing Accompaniment for Steamed Rice
Raw, or unripe, mangoes are tangy. Raw mango stir-fry (palya) is a mouth-watering side dish that is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients.
This stir-fry is traditionally served with steamed rice. I am sure you will be licking your fingers once you finish eating!
This dish is nutritious, too. Raw mangoes are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, and minerals. This fruit helps with digestion and can help control constipation. It also has anti-aging and antioxidant properties, and it can help maintain the health of the skin and hair. For pregnant women, raw mangoes can help with morning sickness.
Let's learn how to make raw mango stir-fry.
- 2 large raw mangoes (I used Totapuri mangoes; use any less sour variety)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut in half
- 4 dry red chilies, moderate hot variety, broken
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing powder (asafoetida)
- 2 tbsp oil, preferably coconut oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp grated jaggery
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Wash raw mangoes. Peel them. Chop the flesh into 1-cm cubes. Set aside.
- Put grated coconut in a mixer or blender. Add broken dry red chilies and 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Pulse a few times to make a rough powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in remaining mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add hing powder, curry leaves, and slit green chilies.
- Saute for 30 seconds. Add chopped mangoes. Throw in turmeric powder and some salt. Mix well.
- Keep the heat medium-low. Saute the mix for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add some water to keep the contents moist. Throw in jaggery powder. Cover the pan. Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Add very little water as and when needed. Cook until the mangoes become soft and are cooked through.
- Keep the heat very low. Add ground coconut masala mixture and remaining salt.
- Gently mix. Take care to prevent cooked mangoes from becoming paste-like.
- Once the masala blends with the mangoes, turn off the heat.
- Now, your favorite raw mango stir-fry is ready to serve.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy eating this heavenly combo.
- This dish remains tasty even when it becomes cold.
Nutritional Information of Raw Mango Stir-Fry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 18 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 48 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|