Raw Mango Stir-Fry (Palya) Recipe
An Amazing Accompaniment for Steamed Rice
Raw mangoes are tangy. They are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, and minerals. They help digestion.
This raw mango stir-fry is a quick and simple recipe. It only needs a few ingredients. The final product is very yummy and mouth-watering.
Serve this stir-fry (palya) with steamed rice. I am sure that you will be licking your fingers once you finish eating!
This is a nutritious side dish. Raw mangoes help control constipation. They have anti-aging and antioxidant properties. They also help to maintain skin and hair health. Eating a raw mango piece is a home remedy to treat morning sickness in pregnant women.
Let's learn now to make raw mango stir-fry.
- 2 large raw mangoes, I used Totapuri mangoes, use any less sour variety
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut in 1 1/2"
- 4 dry red chilies, moderate hot variety, broken
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing powder(asafoetida)
- 2 tbsp oil, preferably coconut oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp grated jaggery
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Raw Mango Stir-Fry (Palya)
- Wash raw mangoes. Peel them. Chop the flesh in 1 cm cubes. Keep aside.
- Put grated coconut in a mixer or blender. Add broken dry red chilies and 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Pulse them a few times to make a rough powder. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in remaining mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add hing powder, curry leaves, and slit green chilies.
- Saute for 30 seconds. Add chopped mangoes. Throw in turmeric powder and some salt. Mix well.
- Keep the heat medium-low. Saute the mix for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add some water to keep the contents moist. Throw in jaggery powder. Cover the pan. Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Add very little water as and when needed. Cook until the mangoes become soft and cooked.
- Keep the heat very low. Add ground coconut masala mixture and remaining salt.
- Gently mix them. Take care to prevent cooked mangoes from becoming paste-like.
- Once the masala blends with the mangoes, turn off the heat.
- Now, your favorite raw mango stir-fry is ready to serve.
- Serve it with steamed rice. Enjoy eating this heavenly combo.
- This dish remains tasty even when becomes cold.
Nutritional Information of Raw Mango Stir-Fry (Palya)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 18 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 48 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|