Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
An Amazing Accompaniment for Steamed Rice
Raw, or unripe, mangoes are tangy. Raw mango stir-fry (palya) is a mouth-watering side dish that is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients.
This stir-fry is traditionally served with steamed rice. I am sure you will be licking your fingers once you finish eating!
This dish is nutritious, too. Raw mangoes are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, and minerals. This fruit helps with digestion and can help control constipation. It also has anti-aging and antioxidant properties, and it can help maintain the health of the skin and hair. For pregnant women, raw mangoes can help with morning sickness.
Let's learn how to make raw mango stir-fry.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves six people
- 2 large raw mangoes (I used Totapuri mangoes; use any less sour variety)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut in half
- 4 dry red chilies, moderate hot variety, broken
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing powder (asafoetida)
- 2 tablespoons oil, preferably coconut oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons grated jaggery
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash raw mangoes. Peel them. Chop the flesh into 1-cm cubes. Set aside.
- Put grated coconut in a mixer or blender. Add broken dry red chilies and 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Pulse a few times to make a rough powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in remaining mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add hing powder, curry leaves, and slit green chilies.
- Saute for 30 seconds. Add chopped mangoes. Throw in turmeric powder and some salt. Mix well.
- Keep the heat medium-low. Saute the mix for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add some water to keep the contents moist. Throw in jaggery powder. Cover the pan. Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Add very little water as and when needed. Cook until the mangoes become soft and are cooked through.
- Keep the heat very low. Add ground coconut masala mixture and remaining salt.
- Gently mix. Take care to prevent cooked mangoes from becoming paste-like.
- Once the masala blends with the mangoes, turn off the heat.
- Now, your favorite raw mango stir-fry is ready to serve.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy eating this heavenly combo.
- This dish remains tasty even when it becomes cold.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 30, 2018:
Thanks Rinita. Your statement is right. This side dish is very tempting. Be diligent while choosing raw mangoes for this purpose. They should be firm and less sour.
Rinita Sen on May 30, 2018:
Nicely written recipe. I'm sure its yum!