Ripe Plantain (Nendra Banana) Raita, a Yogurt-Based Side Dish Recipe
A Summer Delight
Raita is a yogurt-based side dish. We eat this mild curry at the beginning of the meal. This is a comforting side dish that soothes your stomach, especially during the summer.
Plantains are starchier than regular bananas. They are less sweet than bananas when ripe. Normally, people cook plantains before eating them. They are a good source of fiber, carbohydrate, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B 6. Plantain-based foods are filling since they contain many calories.
Finely chopped, ripe plantains are cooked in ghee and mixed with a yogurt-based gravy to make this yummy plantain raita. The tempering gives a nice flavor to this side dish.
Let me now show you the step-by-step recipe to make this ripe plantain raita.
- 1 bowl ripe plantain, I used one plantain, peeled, chopped
- 2 tsp ghee/clarified butter, or oil
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 2 green chilies
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp for the gravy, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 2 cups yogurt or thick curds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp white lentils or urad dal
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Ripe Plantain Raita, a Yogurt-Based Side Dish
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee (clarified butter) or oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Saute chopped ripe plantains in it.
- Continue stir-cooking till they become soft and golden. Transfer them to a plate.
- Put grated coconut, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, green chilies, and salt to a mixer or blender. Grind adding yogurt or water to get a smooth paste.
- Collect the paste in a wide bowl. Add remaining yogurt. Mix well.
- Now you have to temper this raita. Heat remaining ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add white lentils, curry leaves, and hing powder. Mix well. Saute till lentils turn golden.
- Pour this tempering on the raita. Mix it at the time of serving.
- Your favorite ripe plantain raita is ready. Serve it with plain rice, or as a side dish for any meal. Enjoy the soothing taste.
Nutritional Information of Ripe Plantain (Nendra Banana) Raita, a Yogurt-Based Side Dish
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 62 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|