Tasty Curries: Mango Gojju (Mango Sauce) Recipe
Some Information on Mango Gojju or Mango Sauce
It's mango season where I live. Everywhere we look, we see many varieties of mangoes. People make lots of dishes using mangoes, from tender mangoes to raw ones. Mango gojju should be made using mangos that are slightly sour (a little underripe). As this fruit is naturally sweet and sour, no need to use tamarind and jaggery (or sugar) in this recipe. If the fruit is too sour and not sweet, you have to add jaggery powder to adjust the taste.
Mango gojju is easy and quick. It took me about 10 minutes to make this sauce. I used simple ingredients like mangoes, green chili, hing/asafoetida, salt, and the items needed for the tempering. This gojju is spicy and tangy. We serve this gojju (sauce) with white rice, idli, dosa, and as a side dish for any type of flat bread. You can store fresh this sauce for 2-3 days in refrigerator.
- 2 cups mango pulp, I used 3 mango fruits
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for tempering
- 1/4 tsp dehusked black lentil split, for tempering
- 1 tsp coconut oil/ghee, for tempering
- 1 dry red chili, for tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for tempering
Step-by-Step Instructions and Images for Making Mango Gojju or Mango Sauce
- Wash mangoes. Chop them. Squeeze the pulp by pressing them between your fingers. Collect the pulp in a mixing bowl. If the pulp is too thick, add some water.
- Add salt. Throw in green chilies. Press them into the bowl, so that it will cut into pieces. Mix thoroughly with the pulp. Add half portion of hing/asafoetida powder. Throw in chopped onion. Mix well. I didn't use jaggery or sugar in this recipe because the mangoes I used were sweet and sour.
- Check for the taste. Add salt or chili, if needed. You should add your tempering now.
- Heat oil in a small hand pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them pop up. Throw in black lentil split, curry leaves, and remaining hing powder. Turn off the flame when black lentil turns golden. Transfer the tempering into the bowl. Mix well.
- Mango gojju/sauce is ready to serve. Serve it with cooked rice, chapati, dosa, idli, flatbread etc. Enjoy the taste!