Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Overview of Making a Simple Recipe: Carrot Rice
I make carrot rice often. It is a healthy dish and very easy to make. Bright-orange colored carrots are sweetish and tasty. Carrot has become a superfood due to its amazing health benefits.
For making carrot rice, you have to cook rice al dente. Heat some oil in a deep pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, split Bengal gram, and white lentils. Saute on a low fire till mustard seeds pop up and lentil becomes golden. Add chopped onions, grated ginger, green chilies, and broken red chilies. Saute till onion becomes transparent. Add grated carrot. Continue sautéing on low fire till carrot becomes soft. Throw some salt in the mixture. Mix well.
Transfer this mix into the bowl containing cooked rice. Add grated coconut. Squeeze lemon juice. Adjust salt. The carrot rice is now ready to serve!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 bowls cooked white rice
- 2 big cups grated carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 dry red chilies, broken into two
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated ginger, optional
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp split Bengal gram, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp white lentil, for the tempering
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Carrot Rice
- Cook rice al dente. Immerse the rice on a plate for quick cooling. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, broken red chilies, split Bengal gram, white lentil, and curry leaves. Saute on a low fire till mustard seeds pop up and lentil turns golden brown.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, and grated ginger. Continue sauteing till onion becomes transparent.
- Add grated carrot. Throw some salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for a few minutes or till it becomes soft.
- Transfer this mix to the plate containing cooked rice. Add grated coconut and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly with your hand. Check for salt. Add salt if needed.
- Carrot rice is ready to serve. Serve it with any mild raita like cucumber and onion raita or tomato and onion raita. It tastes good even without any side dish.
- Happy eating. Enjoy the taste!