Baked Spaghetti and Sauce Recipe
Growing up, my mother made spaghetti on the weekends...every Sunday, to be exact. And I don't recall ever having leftovers, so I had never had baked spaghetti until I got married.
My husband came from a much larger family than mine, and meal times were a feeding frenzy of first come, first served. He tells me that if you were late to the table, there wasn't much left to eat. His mother was a caterer and knew how to cook in large quantities, but with seven growing kids and a hungry husband there were seldom leftovers to be had.
On those rare occasions that his mom made too much spaghetti, leftovers were thrown into a baking dish and into the oven for baked spaghetti. It was nothing fancy, just good old country cooking. Simple.
The first time my husband suggested we make baked spaghetti with our leftovers, I was all for it. When he told me how to do it, I lost my enthusiasm. His mom, rest her soul, would simply put the spaghetti in the bottom of the pan, layer on the sauce, throw some cheese on it, and heat it up. Other than having melted mozzarella all over, it was basically the same spaghetti we had eaten the night before. I knew that we could improve on the dish and make it into something we both would really enjoy eating, so I came up with the following recipe.
It is good for a couple of days if wrapped tightly and refrigerated. We almost always have it for lunch the next day, and it travels well, so my husband loves to take it to work. I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!
- 1 box of spaghetti, cooked (4 cups when cooked)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cups Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups Provolone cheese (grated or cut into thin slices)
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with a non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add 2/3 cups Parmesan cheese into egg mixture and mix until combined. The mixture will be a little pasty.
- Add spaghetti and toss until coated.
- Pour spaghetti into a baking dish and, with the back of a large spoon or spatula, press down.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of the sauce. If using slices, place them evenly on top of sauce.
- Wrap lightly with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Time to eat!