I love cooking and I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with others.
This easy recipe for crock pot mac and cheese is sure to wow everyone at your next potluck. All you need to do is mix up the ingredients, and let your crock pot do the rest of the work while you get all the accolades for bringing this fantastic dish!
This simple recipe uses a custard-type base of eggs and milk, which tends to yield the best results when cooking in the crock pot, but it's also well-suited to baking in the oven. Another method for homemade mac and cheese is to use a béchamel-based sauce. This is my favorite method for baking in the oven.
Crock pot mac and cheese is quick and easy to prepare. It can easily be made the night before and placed in the refrigerator until you are ready to begin cooking. This recipe was always my stand-by for lunch-time potlucks at the office. I would simply bring the crockpot of un-cooked mac and cheese along with me to work, plug it in that morning, and it would be perfectly cooked by lunch time! You can also easily do the cooking at home and bring the dish along with you to the location of the potluck. The crock pot will help to keep the mac and cheese warm. There are also many crock pot options that lend themselves well for travel to and from potlucks. I suggest getting a crock pot that has an insulated carrier, or at least a latching top to prevent the contents from spilling out on the way to your destination.
Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 hours 30 min
3 hours 45 min
Serves 6-8 as a main dish, 12-14 as a side dish
- 8 ounces (half a box) elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the box, until it is al dente (cooked through, but still firm).
- Meanwhile, mix together all of the remaining ingredients, reserving about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar.
- When the macaroni is done cooking, drain thoroughly, then stir into the custard mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the crock pot and top evenly with the reserved cheddar.
- If desired, sprinkle the top with smoked paprika.
- Cook for 3 1/2 hours on low heat.
- Serve hot!
Crock Pot Mac & Cheese
This recipe calls for a combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, but you can substitute different types of cheeses as you desire. A blend of sharp and mild cheeses tends to result in the best flavor. Some sharp cheeses that work well in mac and cheese include sharp Cheddar (white or yellow), smoked Gouda, and Swiss. Mild cheeses to consider include Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, mild Cheddar, and havarti. I suggest you experiment with different types of cheeses to find combinations that you like.
You may also make this recipe in the oven if you would prefer quicker results. Simply put the uncooked macaroni and cheese mixture into a greased 8’x8’ pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbly.
McKenna Meyers on June 02, 2015:
I'm making this tomorrow. Looks yummy. Great pictures!
M.K. Bodo (author) from Virginia on July 27, 2013:
Susan from India on July 27, 2013:
Wow. This looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing. Voted up.