Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Some Information About Cabbage Fried Rice
Sometimes you may feel too lazy to make elaborate dishes that involve many steps of cooking. On such days, cabbage fried rice can be a good meal choice. You need only a few ingredients to make this yummy dish, and it takes only a few minutes to make.
Cabbage fried rice is less spicy, because this recipe does not involve any sauce. If you want to make it hot, use red chili sauce or Szechuan sauce. Adding mace and star anise gives this fried rice a unique flavor.
This dish can be served hot or warm with a vegetable salad or with tomato sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 1/2 cup raw white rice, or long grain rice, cook it al dente
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup capsicum, julienned
- 1/8 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/6 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit and cut in long pieces
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil or any other cooking oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 strand mace
- 2-3 petals star anise
- 3/4 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Cabbage Fried Rice
- Wash rice. Cook it al dente or cook till firm, don't overcook. That means that the cooked rice grains should be separated from one another. Spread it for cooling.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep bottom pan. Add chopped garlic, mace, and star anise. Stir fry them for a few seconds. Throw in chopped onion and green chilies. Continue frying till onion turns golden.
- Add all other vegetables. Stir fry till the veggies turn soft yet crunchy. Now the cabbage will become golden and will start emitting a nice aroma. Add cooked rice, salt, and pepper powder. Mix well. Add vinegar.
- Stir fry for 1 minute on low fire or till the spices coat well on the vegetables and rice grains. Take it off the fire.
- Cabbage fried rice is now ready to serve. Serve hot or warm in a bowl with vegetable-yogurt salad or with tomato sauce. Enjoy eating!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on April 28, 2017:
Thanks. Cabbage is not only tasty, it has many nutrients like vitamins, fiber, and minerals. Do try this simple recipe.
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on April 28, 2017:
Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables!