Caesar Chicken Pasta Salad Recipe
Pasta salad is a convenient dish to make anytime of the year—but especially in the summer. Good cooks usually have a supply of pasta in their pantries, and fresh vegetables and cheese on hand. The ease of preparing this dish comes with an "anything goes" attitude that allows you to add ingredients your family enjoys. You start out with a box salad mix as a base and then let your imagination take it in any direction you like.
- 1 package Suddenly Salad Caesar Pasta
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 oz. can chicken breast chunks
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, cut in small chunks
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Cook pasta in boiling water as package indicates.
- While pasta is cooking, mix in a large bowl mayonnaise, milk, and seasoning package from the box mix. Be sure to incorporate all of the seasoning into the mayonnaise and milk.
- Add cucumber and tomatoes to the seasoning in the bowl.
- By this time, the pasta should be finished cooking. You can check for doneness by removing a piece from the pot. Cool under running water and then taste to be sure tender. Or, you can press a piece of the pasta against the side of the pot with a fork and see if the fork pierces the pasta easily.
- Pour cooked pasta into a collander and run cold water over it until it is cooled. Let drain completely then pour into bowl with seasoning, tomatoes, etc.
- Drain the can of chicken completely. Using your fingers, break the chicken chunks up while putting in the bowl.
- Add cheese to the bowl and distribute all ingredients well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving. This will give time for the flavors to meld.
- Serve with an assortment of crackers or sliced, crusty bread.
This Basic Pasta Salad Recipe is Very Versatile
You can easily change this pasta salad into a Greek version by adding sliced black olives and replacing the cheddar cheese with feta.
For an Italian salad, replace chicken with chunks of sliced pepperoni and use mozzarella cheese.
You can also leave the meat out completely for a vegetarian dish.
Which salad choice would you prefer?
© 2018 Thelma Raker Coffone