Chicken Alfredo and Pesto Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
I created and completely fell in love with this lasagna recipe. It's warm and comforting, with amazing flavors that blend wonderfully. It has chicken, veggies, cheese, and pasta making it truly a perfect meal in one pan!
- 2 lbs raw chicken breast
- 3 cups mixed vegetables
- 2 15 oz jars alfredo sauce
- 8 oz jar pesto sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles, no boil/oven ready variety
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 28 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
A Little Info About the Ingredients:
- Use no-boil noodles. This lasagna recipe is already quite a bit of work. I ask that you use "no boil" lasagna noodles to save you time. If you wish to boil your noodles first, follow the box directions and reduce bake time by 15 minutes.
- Use whole milk. Whole milk varieties of mozzarella and ricotta should be used.
- Use veggies that soften well. For the mixed vegetables, try to use varieties that soften once cooked. To save time, I recommend using a bag of frozen veggies that are already mostly chopped for you. As an example I used a mixed bag of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and yellow squash and carrots. I then added a good portion of frozen spinach. I thawed them slightly before measuring out the 3 cups.
- Make your own pesto. Pesto sauce can sometimes be found jarred with the other pasta sauce. If your store doesn't carry it in the past isle look around the gourmet cheese section. If you cant find it in either section you'll have to make your own. A favorite author of mine, Vespawoolf has a wonderful hub on making pesto.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a medium bowl combine the Alfredo sauce with 1 cup of milk.
- Add the 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup of the alfredo sauce to a 9x13 pan.
- Chop the chicken breasts into roughly 1/2 inch cubes. Cook in a large skillet with the 2 tablespoons of butter just until cooked. Remove from heat.
- Measure out your chopped veggies (see note on ingredients about this), and cook them in the microwave covered until they are just tender. Keep in mind they will continue to cook later. Once cooked, combine the veggies with the pesto sauce.
- In a medium to large bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and egg.
- Now you're ready to layer. Take your uncooked "oven-ready/no-boil" lasagna noodles and lay on the bottom of your 13x9 inch pan. leave about a half inch space between noodles... give or take. It doesn't have to be perfect.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Now spread out half of the veggie mixture and sprinkle with half of the cooked chicken.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of the alfredo sauce and ladle half of whats left over the chicken.
- Repeat steps 6-9. Add your last layer of noodles and completely cover with the reserved 2/3 cup sauce.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake in a 375'F oven for 50 minutes. To avoid a mess place pan on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes before serving.