I am a food enthusiast and am always trying new recipes. I love to garden, get crafty, and read a good book!
Creamy Pasta With Healthy Veggies
This recipe comes together surprisingly quickly once you have all of the veggies chopped. You can even enlist kids to help chop the veggies while you prep the sauce, which makes the meal prep go even faster. Plus with avocado as the base for the sauce, you're getting in all sorts of healthy fats, potassium, fiber, and vitamin K—not to mention that the resulting dish tastes delicious!
For extra protein, you could add shrimp, and for more depth of flavor you could add crushed red peppers—but my family really enjoys the recipe as it's described below.
Health Benefits of Avocado
- More potassium than a banana
- Packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids
- Rich in fiber
- High in antioxidants like carotenoids, lutein, and zeaxanthin
- Loaded with nutrients
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 medium-sized avocados
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoons ginger
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided into 2 tablespoons each
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked al dente, drain pasta water and set pasta aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they are translucent and beginning to soften. Add chopped zucchini pieces to pan and continue to sautee until zucchini is fork-tender. Add onion powder and tarragon and stir to coat. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the pan and cook mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are fork-tender, about 5 minutes. If pan becomes to dry, add a small drizzle of olive oil to the pan and continue to cook. Once cooked, add zucchini and onion mixture back into the pan and stir to combine. Set aside until time to plate.
- For the sauce: add avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, and tamari/soy sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
- Add basil, garlic, ginger, and salt. Blend briefly and taste. Check the viscosity of the sauce. If it is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and blend again.
- Once desired consistency is reached, set aside until spaghetti is cooked.
- Mix spaghetti with avocado sauce and top with zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- For added flavor, add sliced kalamata olives, chili pepper flakes, or cooked shrimp.
What did you think?
© 2019 Lisa Bean
Lisa Bean (author) from Nevada on January 17, 2019:
You're welcome Kenna! I'm just starting to cook with tofu but plan to try more meals with tempeh next! :)
Kenna McHugh from Northern California on January 17, 2019:
My daughter and I prepare a vegan dish using an avocado sauce. The tomatoes add just the right touch. We complement it with tofu or tempeh. Thanks for the recipe, it is fun to compare.
Liza from USA on January 09, 2019:
I'm sure they will :)
Lisa Bean (author) from Nevada on January 08, 2019:
You're very welcome Liza! Hope they enjoy it.
Liza from USA on January 08, 2019:
This looks very healthy and delicious! I'd like to make this for my family dinner. Thanks for sharing Lisa!
Miebakagh Fiberesima from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NIGERIA. on January 05, 2019:
Lisa, no doubt, and is made with organic natural ingredients, this looks more like a vegetarian diet. The mushroom and avocado combined to make the meal a balanced diet. Some of my vegetarian friends will like it. Thanks, anyway for sharing.
Lisa Bean (author) from Nevada on January 05, 2019:
You're welcome Miebakagh :) It was tasty and nutritious, my favorite combination!
Miebakagh Fiberesima from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NIGERIA. on January 04, 2019:
Hello, Lisa, this is a very nutritious meal and well balanced. Thanks for sharing. Good day.