I love making tasty and nutritious dishes at home; it's much healthier (and more cost-effective!) than going out to eat.
The Finished Product
Greek Taboule Salad Recipe
Why taboule? The main reason I love this dish is because you just pour hot water over it to cook it. Bulgur wheat is a mixture of whole grain wheats (usually Duram wheat is the base) that is parboiled and then dried so that it needs very little cooking time. Also, bulgur wheat is very cheap to buy and has a long shelf life, just like rice. Bulgur can cost about $3.00 for an 18-ounce box, and it takes about one cup of bulgur rice to make this salad to feed 6 people, plus the vegetables. It is high on fiber and low on fat.
Bulgur is very flexible. You can use it thicken stews, as a stuffing, on salads, or eat it plain like cereal. It has a nutty, crunchy texture to it that satisfies your appetite.
It pairs well with dried tomatoes, vegetables, fruits, raisins, and nuts. Even lemon juice will spruce this dish up, making it an easy, healthy recipe for your family.
Rate This Easy Healthy Recipe
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves six people six ounces of salad
Ingredients for Greek Taboule Salad
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 1 large tomato, cut small diced
- I large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped fine
- 1/4 red bell pepper, cut small dice
- 1/4 green pepper, cut small dice
- small red onion, small dice
- 8 black olives, small dice
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 cup oregano
- teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- sprinkle salt and course ground black pepper
- small leaves romaine lettuce, stuff
- small bunch fresh leaf parsley, chopped fine sprinkle on top when all done
Preparing the Ingredients
Instructions for Greek Taboule Salad
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of bulgar wheat, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Stir in one cup of boiling water, cover, than set aside for 30 minutes. Let stand until all the water is absorbed or tender.
- Small dice tomato, cucumber, red and green bell peppers, small red onion, and 8 black olives, or use your food processer to save yourself a lot of time. Don't put black olives in food processor, it will turn every thing black and it won't look good. Also fine chop your small bunch of parsley. This dish requires lots of vegetables to pop the taste of this wheat salad, so chop everything up. The more parsley the better.
- After 30 minutes, combine all fine chopped vegetables and some parsley (save some to sprinkle on top) to the bulgar wheat and spices. Also mix in the olive oil, wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- You can now spread out taboule on a bed of romaine lettuce leaves, crumble the feta cheese over the top with more parsley leaves, and serve with lemon wedges. The other way to serve taboule is to stuff the romain leaves and don't forget to sprinkle the top with lemon, feta, and fine chopped parsley.
I hope you will try this delicious salad. It is inexpensive, healthy, and we all want more fiber in our diets. This salad is not good for a gluten-free diet because it is full of whole grain wheat.
I want you also to remember this salad can be whatever you make it. If you don't have a cucumber, put in a zucchini and use whatever lettuce you have. The way I made this Greek taboule salad is an actual recipe for Greek salad that I personally prepared at the restaurant I cooked at. I just wanted to add a different spin to it. Enjoy.