Easy Recipes: Guide to Making Perfect Tomato Rice
When I start making tomato rice for lunch, I feel a strong, satisfied feeling because it is a healthy food that I can feed to my loved ones. If you go to the cooking part, you will see that it is one of the easiest dishes you can make. As you know, tomatoes are known for their antioxidant properties. Eating tomatoes have numerous health benefits. They are linked to lowering the risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, and folate.
Ingredients For Making Tomato Rice:
- 1 1/2 cup Basmati rice or any other rice
- 2 cups tomato, ripe, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/6 tsp black pepper powder, optional
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- a fistful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice or tamarind juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar, optional, for taste
- 2 tsp salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
Step-By-Step Instructions for Making Tomato Rice:
- Wash rice two times. Drain it. Soak in a cooker container, adding about 2 1/2 glasses of fresh water for 30 minutes. Keep the container inside the pressure cooker. Cook up to 1 whistle. Simmer for 4 minutes. Remove the cooker from the stove top. Once the pressure releases, take the container out and spread the rice on a plate for cooling.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan or kadhai.
- Throw in mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add curry leaves. Mix once. Add chopped onion and green chili. Saute till onion turns transparent and golden brown.
- Pour in chopped tomato. Let the fire be medium-high. Saute until it becomes mushy, paste-like, and starts showing oil on the borders. You can cover the kadhai to quicken the process. This may take about 8 minutes on high flame.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chopped mint and coriander leaves, sugar, lemon/tamarind juice, and ginger garlic paste. Lower the fire. Add salt. Keep mixing for a minute.
- Pour in rice. Add grated coconut. Gently mix it with the contents in the kadhai. Check for the salt. Add more salt if needed. Put off the stove after simmering for two minutes. Keep the kadhai covered.
- Enjoy eating the tomato rice with cucumber onion raita or salad.
- If you are not using pepper powder, increase the quantity of the red chili powder.
- Tomato rice tastes good even if it is not hot.
- You can eat tomato rice with yogurt as a side dish.
Nutritional Information of Tomato Rice:
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|