Easy Veggie Fried Rice Without Eggs
Is Fried Rice Better at a Restaurant Than at Home?
For my family, fried rice from a restaurant, although tasty, isn't safe for us since my son has an egg allergy. So if we're at a restaurant, we order white rice. But at home, I've made this egg-free veggie fried rice countless times and it's always a hit. Sometimes I'll add more veggies to make it a filling main dish for dinner, and sometimes I'll leave it as is and have it as a side dish. However you make it, this recipe is tried and true and tastes delicious!
What Do You Think?
- 2 cups (3–4 medium) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups (uncooked) white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch salt & pepper
- green onions, chopped for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn
- Cook the rice either in a rice cooker or on the stove so that it is ready by the time you are done cooking the veggies. I like to start the rice cooker right as my first step, just before I begin cooking the veggies, since it takes about 20 minutes for the rice to cook.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Sauté them until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add chopped carrots to the pan. Stir to coat in oil and to ensure even cooking.
- When the onions begin to brown, increase heat to medium-high. After a few seconds, add half of the water and continue to stir.
- Keep stirring the carrots and onions. As the water cooks off, add the remainder of the water. You are just sort of steam cooking the carrots a little so they aren't too hard in the finished rice.
- Once most of the water has cooked off, reduce heat back to medium and continue stirring. Add peas and corn, and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are warmed through, add cooked rice to the pot and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Continue cooking for 3–4 minutes to allow the rice to brown a little in the pan.
- Pour soy sauce/tamari over veggie rice mixture and stir to coat. If you want a darker rice, add more soy sauce/tamari.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy!
Veggie Fried Rice
What is your favorite kind of rice?
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 68 g||23%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 663 mg||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Lisa Bean