Easy Recipes: Making Vegetable Biryani in a Pressure Cooker
Vegetable Biryani: Introduction
Vegetable biryani is a main course rice dish, a complete food, that is spicy and awesome. Eating hot biryani is a luxury by itself. It is best eaten with the raita/salad made of cucumber and thick curds. To make it easy, the recipe for cucumber raita is shown below.
- 1 1/2 cup Basmati rice or aromatic long rice
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into pieces
- 1/8 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped lengthwise
- 1/8 cup cauliflower, florets chopped
- 1/4 cup french beans, cut in long pieces
- 1/4 cup capsicum, cut in long pieces
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- a few spices like, cinnamon, star flower, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and shahi jeera
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- a few peppercorn, optional
- 2 tsp Ginger, garlic,cashewnut, coriander paste/powder, cashew optional
- 2 tbsp mint leaves & coriander
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp biryani masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt, to taste
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions of Making Vegetable Biryani:
- Wash basmati rice/long rice in water. Soak in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker base. I used 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add all the spices like cinnamon (1 inch piece), starflower (1 no), cardamom (1 no), stone flower (a few), bay leaf (1 no), cloves (2-3), peppercorns (6-8), and shahi jeera (1/2 tsp). Fry them on low fire, till you get a nice aroma. It may take about two minutes.
- Throw chopped onion into the cooker. Fry till golden brown. Now, add chopped vegetables and fry for two more minutes.
5. Add chopped mint-coriander leaves, biryani masala powder (available in Indian stores), and salt. Also, add the paste/powder of coriander, cashew nut, garlic, and ginger. Mix well. Saute the mix for two minutes.
6. Add water as per instructions. You can also use thin coconut milk instead of water. Let the mix boil for 3 minutes. Add Basmati rice, discarding the soaking water. Continue boiling for more 3 minutes. At this stage, you can check for the salt. Add more salt if required.
7. Cover the cooker and place the weight. Cook till one whistle, simmer for 3-4 minutes. Put off the fire. Remove the cooker from the stove top.
8. Open the lid when the pressure becomes less. Now, check for the cooking consistency. If it is perfect, gently mix it once. If it is not cooked, sprinkle some water and cook till it is done.
9. Vegetable biryani is ready to serve. Serve hot biryani with cucumber raita/salad. For your ready reference, I am giving you the recipe below.
How to Make Cucumber Salad/Raita:
- Finely chop cucumber (1 cup), one green chili, half of an onion, and one small tomato.
- Mix the above with two cups of thick curds. Add salt as per taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Cucumber salad/raita is ready to serve.
Nutritional Information of Vegetable Biryani
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 77 g||26%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Sodium 26 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|