Foolproof Spaghetti Carbonara- Easy and Delicious
You Have to be Quick!
Spaghetti carbonara is a definitely a dish that requires skill to prepare because of the fine line it balances. Because you're utilizing raw eggs, you have to get several variables just right. Too much heat and the eggs scramble. Not enough heat and you end up with raw eggs (yuk- not to mention a health hazard). When the raw eggs are added to the hot, cooked pasta, they should be heated up just enough to create a creamy sauce. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.
I've used the following recipe for years and it's never let me down.
The recipe below is for two abundant portions.
- 1/4 c cubed pancetta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 T grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper, to taste
- About 200 grams spaghetti
- 1t salt
- Set water to boil then add coarse salt and pasta.
- Meanwhile, fry pancetta and set aside. Drain all but one teaspoon of fat and leave in skillet.
- Saute onions until they are caramelized. Mix together with pancetta and set aside.
- While spaghetti is cooking, mix the eggs with cheese and pepper. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and return it to the hot pot (be sure to shut off the stove). Add pancetta, onions, and egg mixture immediately. Stir quickly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before eating. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs to perfection, and the cheese and pepper will be evenly dispersed. The result is a creamy, tasty pasta.
No comments yet.