Simple Fried Noodles Recipe Using Instant Noodles
Malaysian Fried Noodles
Fried noodles, especially the Malaysian mee mamak, are one of my favorite dishes. But it is fried with lots of oil so you end up with greasy fried noodles - nice and full of cholesterol! Unfortunately, most fried foods are always not healthy.
One way to enjoy fried noodles without the oil is to use instant noodles. It will not taste as good as the real fried noodles but it will be healthier. You have to boil instant noodles instead of frying them. Health-wise, it is better. This substitution is also good if you are in a hurry or if you're abroad and have no access to all the ingredients.
Choose Carefully When You Buy Instant Noodles
Some instant noodles have a high sodium level. It can be harmful and is linked to diseases such as stroke, hypertension, and kidney problems. So, when you buy instant noodles buy only brands that have a lower sodium level. Based on a study by the Consumer Association Penang, Malaysia, the average sodium level found in ten different samples was 830 mg. Based on U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance of sodium for both adults and children is 2,400 mg/day. Therefore, it will be safe to buy brands with sodium level below 830 mg.
Instant noodles are popular as it is relatively cheap, easy and as mentioned earlier, great if you are in a hurry. These dried and pre-cooked noodles come with flavorings and sometimes, seasoning oils. To eat these instant noodles you first boil the dried noodles and after one or two minutes, you add the flavoring and seasoning oil.
Water that you use to boil the instant noodles is usually part of the recipe. But for fried noodles, drain and throw this water. Make sure it is fully drained, otherwise you will end up with wet and soggy noodles.
Many Versions of Fried Noodles
There are several versions of fried noodles. You can use chicken, prawn or just vegetables for the vegan version. For this recipe, I use the fish balls and fish cakes since it is easy with less preparation required.
As mentioned earlier, it will never replace the tasty flavor of Mee Goring Mamak, but it is quick, easy and even your kids can do this.
- 1 packet Instant Fried Noodle
- 4 pieces Fish balls, Cut in half
- 1 piece Fish cake, slice in small pieces
- 2 stalk Sawi (kai choy or Chinese mustard green), cut into small pieces about 2 inches
- 2 cup Water, to boil the instant noodles
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts, washed and root removed
- Boil the instant noodles with 2 cups water but without the spices and seasoning. Boil for about 2 minutes, then drain water completely. Put aside the noodles while you prepare the other ingredients
- In a separate pot, boil the fish balls and fish cakes. Add salt to taste. After 3 minutes, add the sawi and bean sprouts and continue to boil for another minute. Then completely drain the water.
- In a bowl, add all the seasoning and flavoring as provided in the instant noodle packet. Add the noodles and the rest of the other ingredients that you boiled earlier. Mix thoroughly these mixtures.
- Serve when it is still hot
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Mazlan